GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES – April 16, 2001, 1:15 p.m., East Tennessee Room
ATTENDEES: Alavi, Antkiewicz, Brown, Caton, Champney, Green, Ellis, Herrin, Hoover, Lindahl, Scheuerman
ABSENT: Honaker, Kasmai, Osborn, Kimberly Norris Thompson, Mary Beth Gooley, Pfeiffer, Smith, Taylor, Woodruff
GUESTS: Bishop, Fagelson, Scherer
I. Minutes 3/19/01
Action taken by Council: Approved with minor corrections to Section II.A.1a. Which should read DIGM 5840 Advanced Modeling and Lighting.
II. Curriculum Sub-Committee – Wes Brown, spokesperson
A. College of Education – Department of Human Development and Learning – New Course Proposal
1. HDAL 4407/5007 – Applications of Group Process
Action taken by Council: Approved with minor corrections and forwarded to Undergraduate Curriculum Committee.
B. College of Public and Allied Health – Department of Communicative Disorders –
1. Curriculum Proposal for a Doctorate of Audiology – New Degree Designation – Format C
2. Ten (10) New Courses
a. CDIS 5110/6110 Anatomy, Embryology, Physiology (3 credits)
b. CDIS 5100/6100 Instrumentation and Acoustic Measurement (3 credits)
c. CDIS 5141/6141 Amplification Systems II (3 credits)
d. CDIS 5142/6142 Amplification Systems III (3 credits)
e. CDIS 5196/6196 Electrophysiology II (3 credits)
f. CDIS 5205/6205 SLP for Audiology Students (3 credits)
g. CIDS 5360/6360 Vestibular Assessment (3 credits)
h. CDIS 5361/6361 Advanced Vestibular Assessment and Rehabilitation (3 credits)
i. CDIS 5370/6370 Hearing Conservation (3 credits)
j. CDIS 5410/6410 Audiology Seminar (3 credits)
3. Thirteen (13) Editorial Course Changes
a. CDIS 5150 to CDIS 5150/6150
b. CDIS 5115 to CDIS 5115/6115
c. CDIS 5160 to CDIS 5160/6160
d. CDIS 5145 to CDIS 5145/6145
e. CDIS 5140 to CDIS 5140/6140
f. CDIS 5330 to CDIS 5330/6330
g. CDIS 5520 to CDIS 5520/6520
h. CDIS 5180 to CDIS 5180/6180
i. CDIS 5195 to CDIS 5195/6195
j. CDIS 5300 to CDIS 5300/6300
k. CDIS 5310 to CDIS 5310/6310
l. CDIS 5400 to CDIS 5400/6400
m. CDIS 5340 to CDIS 5340/6340
4. Termination of Master’s of Science (MS) in Audiology - The Master’s of Science in Audiology will transition to a Doctoral (AuD) Degree as mandated by changing accreditation standards. The AuD will supplant the MS in Audiology as the degree offered by ETSU.
Action taken by Council: Approved with minor corrections and clarification of experiential learning
III. Graduate Faculty Sub-Committee – Ben Caton, spokesperson
A. Candidates for new appointment:
1. Massengill, Raymond, EdD, Professor in Surgery/Communicative
Disorders, recommended for Associate.
2. Shafer, Melissa, MFA, Assistant Professor in Communication recommended for Associate.
3. Yampolsky, Lev, Candidate of Science (equivalent of PhD) Assistant Professor in Biological Sciences, recommended for Associate.
B. Candidates for reappointment:
1. Bailey, Roger, PhD, Professor in Psychology, full membership expires 011, recommended for Associate.
2. Burgess, William D., PhD, Associate Professor in History, full
membership expires 001, recommended for Associate.
3. Close, David, PhD, Professor in Physics, Associate membership expires 012, recommended for Associate.
4. Davenport, Mary Jo, MS, Assistant Professor in Physical Therapy, interim expires 011, recommended for Interim.
5. Gold, Jeffrey, PhD., Professor in Philosophy, full membership expired 003, recommended for Associate.
6. Hancock, John, PhD, Professor in Pharmacology, full membership
expires 011, recommended for Full.
7. Haskell, Jean, PhD, Professor in Appalachian Studies, associate
membership expired 003, recommended for Associate.
8. Hungate, Christa, MA, Assistant Professor in Foreign Language,
interim expires 011, recommended for Interim.
9. Isbell, Rebecca, EdD., Professor in Early Childhood, full membership expires 011, deferred. Committee needs list of graduate courses taught with dates.
10. Johnson, Keith, PhD, Associate Professor in Technology, associate membership expires 011, deferred. Committee needs list of graduate courses taught with dates.
11. Kridler, Jamie, PhD, Associate Professor in Applied Human Services, interim expires 013, recommended for Associate.
12. Lindahl, Ronald, PhD, Professor in ELPA, full membership expires 013, recommended for Full.
13. McInturf, Richard, EdD, Part Time in HDAL, temporary expired 993, referred to Dean Wes Brown since candidate is part time.
14. Miller, Barney, PhD, Assistant Professor in Psychiatry, associate membership expires 013, recommended for Full.
15. Miller, Merry, MD, Professor in Psychiatry, associate membership expires 013, recommended for Full.
16. Rasch, Ellen, PhD, Professor in Anatomy/Cell Biology, full expires 011, recommended for Full.
17. Wilson, Richard, PhD, Professor in Surgery/Communicative Disorders, full membership expires 021, deferred. 1. No signatures and 2. Committee needs list of graduate courses taught with dates (during the period of review (1995-2001)
18. Williams, Duane, MA, Associate Professor in Physical Therapy, Interim expires 011, recommended for Interim.
Action taken by Council: Approved three new faculty
appointments, Fifteen (15)new appointments, three deferred for further action, and one approved for part-time status for fall 2001 semester.
IV. New Business
Dr. Brown informed Council about the informative Coordinators’ Retreat held at the Aldelphia Center on April 6, 2001.
The May 2001 Graduate Council meeting will be held on 5/21/01 rather than 5/28/01 since that is the Memorial Day holiday. The time will still be 1:15 p.m. and room assignment will be announced before the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:00 p.m.
Scott Champney, Chair