Summer 2017 Dates
Summer Move-In Schedule: Tuesday, May 30
- 3:00-4:00pm: Rising sophomores
- 4:00-5:00pm: Rising juniors
- 5:00-6:00pm: Rising seniors
Summer Move-Out: Friday, June 30
- Move-In: Sunday, June 4
- Classes: June 5 - July 7
End of Summer Trip: July 10-14 (Chicago, IL)
Type here to Filter Results
- When is the summer program?Answer
- When can I move into my dorm?Answer
- What paperwork do I need to bring during the dorm move-in process?Answer
- How do I get to the ETSU campus & dorms?Answer
- When do I check-in and check-out each week?Answer
- What is the check-in and check-out procedure?Answer
- What meals are provided by Upward Bound?Answer
- I've never been away from my family for this long. Can I see them during the week?Answer
- I have permission to drive myself. Does that mean I can check-out whenever I want?Answer
- Do my summer Upward Bound classes count as college credit?Answer
- Can I come to the summer program if I have to miss part of Upward Bound?Answer
- Can I come to the end of summer trip if I'm not doing well in my classes?Answer
When is the summer program?
- May 30 - June 30
- Bridge: June 4 - July 7
When can I move into my dorm?
- Rising sophomores: May 30 - 3:00-4:00pm
- Rising juniors: May 30 - 4:00-5:00pm
- Rising seniors: May 30 - 5:00-6:00pm
- Bridge: June 4 - TBA
What paperwork do I need to bring during the dorm move-in process?
- If you have not completed and submitted the following forms, either by mail or in
person, you will not be able to move into the dorms until they are complete:
- Summer Handbook Agreement
- Medical Release and Authorization
- Transportation Form
- If any or all of these forms are missing, a parent/guardian will need to be with you at check-in in order to complete the missing paperwork and make you eligible to move into the dorms.
How do I get to the ETSU campus & dorms?
- Unlike during our Monday Night Sessions, transportation is not provided to and from ETSU campus. Students will need to have arrangements to be dropped off (Sundays) and picked up (Fridays) each week - unless they have permission to drive themselves (as indicated on the Transportation Permission Form).
- Driving Directions from Area High Schools to ETSU campus
- Girls Dorm (Lucille Clement Hall: 1193 Jack Vest Dr, Johnson City, TN 37614)
- Guys Dorm (Nell Jennings Dossett Hall: 339 S Dossett Dr, Johnson City, TN 37614)
When do I check-in and check-out each week?
- Check-In: Students should arrive at the dorms between 6pm-8pm on Sundays. There will not be supervision in the dorms before 6pm since no one will be on duty. Students should also arrive Sunday evening having already eaten dinner.
- Check-Out: Students can check-out at the dorms between 1:30pm-6pm. From 1:30pm-4:00pm on Fridays, we will have activities such as swimming, volleyball, and games in the lobby for students.
What is the check-in and check-out procedure?
- When students arrive on campus, a parent does not have to be present (exception: dorm move-in). Students can come to the dorm and check-in with a staff member on their own. Students cannot stay in the dorms over the weekends. A parent or guardian on a student’s approved check-out list must come inside the dorm and show ID to check the student out, at each and every check-out (exception; students who have permission to check themselves out).
What meals are provided by Upward Bound?
- Three meals a day are provided to students
- Exceptions: Sunday and Friday
- Sunday evenings: Students should check-in at their dorm (6pm-8pm) having already eaten dinner
- Friday afternoons: Students will eat lunch, but will not have dinner before dorm check-out (1:30pm-6pm)
I've never been away from my family for this long. Can I see them during the week?
- Every Wednesday is Family Night (4pm-9pm) when students have the option to check-out and be with their family mid-week.
I have permission to drive myself. Does that mean I can check-out whenever I want?
- Students who receive parent/guardian permission to check-out, through our summer paperwork, are only authorized to leave campus during Wednesday and Friday check-out times. Students are not able to come and go from the program at their leisure, even if they have permission to drive themselves. Students who need to check-out during a non-typical time will need to have prior approval from a parent/guardian. Prior to the summer program, this can be indicated on our Dates Missed Form; during the summer program, permission can be given by calling our office or the Resident Director for the student's dorm.
Do my summer Upward Bound classes count as college credit?
- Although students are living and taking classes on ETSU campus, the courses are not college-level and students will not receive college credit. Summer courses through Upward Bound are designed to keep students thinking, in and outside the classroom, during the summer break. A student's course schedule should prepare them for the courses they plan to take the following year at their high school.
- Exception: Bridge students typically take two college courses worth 3 credit hours each
Can I come to the summer program if I have to miss part of Upward Bound?
- Students are expected to do all in-class and homework assignments. Grades are recorded regularly to track students' progress. Attendance is required in all classes. Any student who misses a day or several days of the Upward Bound summer is responsible for making up all work that was missed. Students are strongly discouraged from missing more than a week.
Can I come to the end of summer trip if I'm not doing well in my classes?
- Students must have an average of 80 in their courses, with no individual class grade below 60, in order to stay eligible to attend the summer trip.