Miss Harris, a Johnson City native, was awarded her M.S. degree by Peabody College and pursued additional graduate work at Penn State University. Miss Harris taught in elementary schools in Virginia and Tennessee and was a member of the art department at East Tennessee State University, where she became well known for her work in arts and crafts. Miss Harris had numerous religious and professional affiliations. She was a member of the Bicentennial Committee of the Southern Highland Handicraft Guild and secretary-treasurer of the Southeastern Arts Association. She served as chairman of the committee that designed the University flag for President Culp's inauguration. She was a loyal supporter of the Alumni Association and served as the President of the Alumni Association in 1959-60.