A Madisonville native, Howell Sherrod is the son of the late Dr. Charles C. and Carrie Lee Hood Sherrod. His father was president of what is now ETSU from 1925-49 during its transition from a teacher training institution to a state college. ETSU's library bears his father's name. Dr. Sherrod graduated from ETSU with a B.S. degree in science and mathematics and membership in the "T" Club, tennis team, band and orchestra. He graduated from the University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Memphis in 1941.
Following medical school, he worked in a rotating internship at John Gaston Hospital, Memphis, served as a medical officer in the Naval Reserve during World War II, and served in the Medical Corps. After his discharge, Sherrod obtained specialty training in orthopedic surgery in New Orleans, including post-graduate education at Tulane University School of Medicine, Veterans Hospital, and Charity Hospital.
He returned to Johnson City in 1950, where he established a private practice that would grow into Watauga Orthopaedics. Sherrod also was credited with founding North Side Hospital, Upper East Tennessee Crippled Children's Clinic and the State of Franklin Orthopedic Society and bringing the first hyperbaric oxygen unit to the area.
Sherrod served many years as an attending orthopedist at Memorial Hospital. He also had been an orthopedics instructor for ETSU's College of Nursing and senior consultant in orthopedic surgery at Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Mountain Home.
Dr. Sherrod is involved in an number of activities at his alma mater. He is the past president of the ETSU Alumni Association, a member of the President's Trust, Pirate Club, and ETSU Foundation, and has been the attending physician to ETSU athletic teams for the past 25 years.
Dr. and Mrs. Sherrod have four children; daughter Rebecca Sherrod Rader and sons Howell Jr., C. Edgar, and William Dean.