Work Study

The Division of Theatre & Dance hires students for Academic Performance Scholarship (APS) and Work Study positions. Students who are eligible for APS or Work Study and are interested in theatre are strongly encouraged to explore the possibilities of working in the Theatre Office (Campus Center Building 201A) or in the Costume & Scene Shops (Brooks Gym 120). When filling Work Study positions, preference is given to Theatre majors, Theatre minors, and/or Dance minors.

What is Work Study?

  • Work study programs allow students to earn part of their educational expenses by working part-time under the Federal Work Study Program (FWS) or the Regular Student Work Program (RSWP).
  • Work Study is funded from federal and institutional resources.

How much can be earned in a work study position?

  • The exact earning potential depends upon the award maximum and hours actually worked.
  • The hourly pay rate is typically the federal minimum wage.

How are students paid for work study?

  • Earnings for work study positions DO NOT go directly toward tuition/fees.
  • Student workers are paid twice per month based on the hours they work.

How do I apply/qualify for FWS?

  • Students must complete the FAFSA and be awarded FWS by ETSU in order to be eligible for an FWS position.
  • FWS awards are given on "first-come-first-serve" basis.
  • Due to funding restrictions, an FWS award does not guarantee a position.
  • Once awarded, students can then look for available FWS Student Work Positions and apply directly to the department that has listed the opening.
  • Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours to qualify for any work study positions.

How do I apply/qualify for RSWP?

  • Students can look for available RSWP Student Work Positions and apply directly to the department that has listed the opening.
  • Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours to qualify for any work study positions.

When can I begin working my student work position?

  • Students cannot work any hours until the department in which they will be employed has received approval from the Office of Financial Aid.
  • A student worker can only work through one work program at a time, and can only work for one department at a time.
  • Students apply for Federal Work Study on the same form that they complete for Federal Aid. One of the questions on the form (#28) asks if the student will be interested in student employment, the answer should be "yes" if you would like to be awarded FWS. Of course, funds are limited; therefore, those submitting the FAFSA before the priority deadline will have the greatest chance of being awarded.

What is an Academic Performance Scholarship (APS)?

  • An Academic Performance Scholarship is a type of financial aid awarded to students who are performing academically at an extremely high level in order to assist in paying for school.

How much can be awarded in an APS position?

  • An APS award is $3,000.00 annually ($1,500.00 per semester).
  • Recipients are required to perform 75 service hours each semester (approximately 5 hours per week).

How do I apply/qualify for APS?

  • Tennessee residents and residents of border counties in Virginia and North Carolina (Lee, Scott and Washington counties in Virginia and Ashe, Avery, Haywood, Madison, Mitchell, Watauga and Yancey counties in North Carolina) are eligible to apply.
  • Only entering freshmen and transfer students are eligible.
  • Students who enter ETSU during the spring or summer terms will be considered "new" students for the following Fall term.
  • New students accepting an APS must register for Fall classes or register to attend an orientation program by July 1.
  • Recipients must maintain an overall GPA > 2.5 and earn a term GPA > 2.5.
  • Recipients must pass a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
  • APS recipients are responsible for securing their own positions on campus by September 15. Students can look for available APS Positions and apply directly to the department that has listed the opening.
  • Awards are competitive and based on academic performance.
  • Availability of awards are contingent on funding levels.
  • Awards for new students are made on a rolling basis.

What is the APS Renewal Criteria?

  • Earn a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
  • Maintain a cumulative and term GPA of 2.5 or higher.
  • Must perform 75 services hours each semester in the same department. APS recipients who do not complete the 75 service hours will lose their scholarship for all future terms.
  • APS recipients must stay continuously enrolled (Fall and Spring terms).
  • No APS awards are available for Summer terms.
  • Freshmen who fail to earn 12 hours of credit and a minimum 2.5 GPA for the first APS semester, will be placed on probation for the following term

Please contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information. Phone: 423-439-4300 Email:  

For more information about working for the Division of Theatre & Dance, contact Division Secretary