Doug's Mostly French Onion Soup
Sorta....French. Oh, my....
The Stuff That Goes in It
- a couple of big onions, slice thinly
- a couple of leeks, cleaned and sliced thinly
- 1-2 T. of a good olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4-5 cups of stock, beef or chicken usually
- 1 T. of thyme
- salt -- to taste
- pepper -- to taste
- cheese (Blue, Gargonzola, Silton, Swiss, Guyere, whatever...
What to do:
- Slice the onions, leeks, and garlic.
- Saute in the oil until carmelized (brown).
- Add stock and thyme. Simmer for an hour or two. Makes the house smell great.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Do the usual. Put a big slice of bread on top, the cheese. Put it under the broiler. When it is melted, eat.
- Or you can simply put the cheese in the soup and let it melt and serve it with big chunks of bread.
Last updated: The Ides of March, 2001