Welcome to the East Tennessee State University Women's Studies website! Women's Studies is an exciting interdisciplinary program that examines theoretical, philosophical, historical, economic, and social issues that shape ideas of gender. A degree in Women's Studies prepares students to work towards a more just and equitable world while pursuing advanced education or professional careers. The program offers courses from several departments on campus, including Literature and Language, History, Sociology, Communication, and more. Students have the freedom to choose from these various fields of study to integrate advanced learning around issues of gender and diversity.
The Women's Studies Program offers a feminist approach to subject matter, method of inquiry, teaching and learning. Our mission is to:
• Promote women-centered inquiry through curriculum, campus programming, and program governance
• Direct attention to women's historical and contemporary experience and accomplishments
• Study gender as socially constructed rather than intrinsic or innate
• Focus on diversity through the intersections of ability, age, class, culture, ethnicity, gender, nationality, race, religion and sexuality
• Improve students' critical thinking skills in academic, personal and professional life
• Model interdisciplinary collaboration in research, teaching, learning and co-curricular activities
• Promote and sustain an atmosphere for women's leadership
Dr. Phyllis Thompson is the Director of the Women's Studies program.
It's time to register for the summer and fall!Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment to meet with an Advisor.