Criteria for Selection, not in any particular order
· Academic record;
· Courses taken;
· Previous research experience (some experience is good, too much is bad);
· Self identification as a female, minority, or physically challenged participant;
· Potential for this REU to “add value” to your background;
· Strength of letters of recommendation;
· Nature of statement of purpose (last question on form);
· Willingness to present and publish work done;
· Evidence of work in a team environment (attach a resume if you have one!!).
I like to assemble REU teams that contain students from a variety of schools. This diversity adds great value to the experience. Only twice have I selected two students from the same school during the same year.