* Educate students to become responsible, enlightened, and
* Conduct scholarship that improves the human condition;
* Serve business, education, government, health care systems, and community; and,
* Enhance the cultural environment of the region.
East Tennessee State University Values
ETSU pursues its mission through a student-centered community of
learning reflecting high standards and promoting a balance of
liberal arts and professional preparation, continuous improvement,
and based on core values where:
* PEOPLE come first, are treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full potential;
* RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity, and trust;
* DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
* EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
* EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and,
* COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
Department of Music Mission Statement
The Department of Music provides specialized training in music
to prepares students for professional work or advanced study,
for teaching music in the elementary and secondary schools, and for
general cultural attainment.
The curriculum of the Department of Music is designed to present the learning of music as an integrated whole. Solo and ensemble performance, theoretical and historical studies, concert attendance, and electives both within and outside the department are intended to provide a balanced education.
In addition to training in the various professions of music, the department provides general music studies and activities for the non-music major, the university, and the community.