1. Apply for general admission to the university. Information about applying to ETSU can be found at:
2. Once you have been accepted to the university at large, you must audition for the Department of Music with the instrumental faculty. Instrumental auditions take place throughout the year. Contact the faculty member for your instrument to schedule an audition time.
Flute: Rebecca Paluzzi firstname.lastname@example.org
Oboe: Dr. Heather Killmeyer email@example.com
Clarinet: Tom Crawford firstname.lastname@example.org
Saxophone: Tom Crawford email@example.com
Trumpet: Dr. David Champouillon firstname.lastname@example.org
Trombone: David Bubsey email@example.com
Horn: Carrie Tedder firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuba & Euphonium: Dr. Stephanie Frye email@example.com
Percussion: Dr. Rande Sanderbeck firstname.lastname@example.org
Violin & Viola: Jane MacMorran email@example.com
Cello: Cherylonda Fitzgerald firstname.lastname@example.org
Bass: Cynthia Mueller
If you have any problems contacting the faculty member, please call the Department of Music office at (423) 439-4270.
Woodwinds, Brass, and Strings:
You must provide your own accompanist for all auditions.
3. Once you have auditioned, you will receive a letter notifying you of your acceptance or rejection to the ETSU Department of Music no later than a month after the audition date. Information regarding scholarships which have been awarded may arrive in a separate mailing.
4. If you are accepted as a music major or minor and/or you are awarded a scholarship, you must return the appropriate acceptance forms by the stated due date. Failure to do so may forfeit your admission and/or all scholarship awards.
5. Once you have returned your acceptance forms, you will receive further information on how to prepare for the coming year. An academic adviser will be assigned to you, and you may contact him/her with questions. ETSU Admissions will provide information to you about the university at large. A letter explaining the time, date, and location of the required orientation for the Department of Music will be mailed to you over the summer.
Students who are seeking admittance to the Bachelor of Music program as a major or minor need only to schedule one audition for the purpose of both admission to the degree program and for scholarship consideration.
Students who will not be majoring in music but wish to be considered for scholarship funding through the instrumental music program will also need to schedule and follow the same process (see above).
Academic Performance Scholarships and Public Performance Scholarships:
Incoming freshmen and transfer students are eligible for the Academic Performance Scholarship and Public Performance Scholarship. Contact the faculty member for your instrument to apply for the APS or PPS Scholarship.
A variety of scholarships have been endowed to ETSU by generous donors. These scholarships are primarily available to junior and senior level students.
These scholarships require an annual re-audition in order to renew.
Auditions for Endowed Scholarships for the 2015-2016 Academic Year:
To schedule an audition, first complete the audition form:
Option 1: Return the form by postal mail to:
East Tennessee State University
Department of Music
Attn. Dr. Christian Zembower
PO Box 70661
Johnson City, TN 37614
Option 2: Return the form by email by scanning the completed form to a pdf file:
Then contact Dr. Christian Zembower to schedule an audition time: