East Tennessee State University
Archives of Appalachia
Johnson City, Tennessee 37614
Telephone: (423) 439-4338
Title: Emanuel Lutheran Church Records Jonesboro, Tennessee
Collection Number: Accession No. 143
Physical Description: 1 folder
Creator: Emanuel Lutheran Church Jonesboro, Tennessee
Repository: Archives of Appalachia, East Tennessee State University
Provenance: The papers of Emanuel Lutheran Church were donated to the Archives of Appalachia on November 3, 1982 by Susan Walters. These records are photocopies, the originals were returned to Walters.
Access: The records are open for research.
Processing Information: The Archives of Appalachia Staff completed processing the collection.
Located on Cherokee Creek in Washington County, Tennessee, near present-day Limestone, Emanuel Lutheran Church (also known as the Old Dutch Meeting House) organized about 1807 as a union church and was admitted to the North Carolina Synod in 1811. The first church elders were Abraham Shnep and Elias Bowman. In 1820 it became a charter member of the Tennessee Synod. During the early years, services were often held in both German and English. The church disbanded about 1870. The former church site was bought by Dave Walters in 1900 and sold in 1943 to B. Chase. When the building was torn down in 1900 these were the only records found.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The Emanuel Lutheran Church Records contains photocopies of lists of communicanters, baptisms, confirmants and of those attending catechism; and church minutes, including decisions about financial matters, election of church officials and teaching catechism in English rather than Dutch. Lists of baptisms includes information about the persons' parents and date of birth.
The records date from 1811 to 1831. The bulk of the material spans from 1815-1829.
The records are arranged chronologically in a single folder.
Important subjects covered in the collection are:
Emanuel Lutheran Church (Washington County, Tenn.)