JUDGE SAMUEL C. WILLIAMS COLLECTION
Papers 1946

East Tennessee State University
Archives of Appalachia
Box 70295
Johnson City, Tennessee 37614

E-mail: archvies@etsu.edu
Telephone: (423) 439-4338


INTRODUCTION

Title:

Judge Samuel C. Williams Collection

Collection Number:

Accession No. 13
L. C. No. MS 82-605

Physical Description:

2 folders

Creator:

Judge Samuel C. Williams

Repository:

Archives of Appalachia, East Tennessee State University

 

ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION

Provenance: The papers of Judge Samuel C. Williams were given to Sherrod Library, East Tennessee State College in September 1946 by Judge Williams and transferred to the Archives of Appalachia December 4, 1978.

Access: The papers are open for research.

Processing Information: David H. Goodin completted processing and the collection was opened for research July 5, 1979.

 

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE

Samuel C. Williams was born January 15, 1864 in Gibson County near Humboldt, Tennessee. He attended Vanderbilt University's School of Law and graduated in June 1884. In 1892 Williams moved to Johnson City, Tennessee where he and John D. Cox established the branch of Banking and Trust Company which later became Unaka National Bank, Tennessee National Bank, and finally Hamilton National Bank. In addition, Williams and Walter P. Brownlow jointly owned Watauga Light and Power Company and Johnson City Transit Company. Judge Williams also had interests in Empire Chair Company and the John Sevier Hotel. In 1912 he became Chancellor of First Chancery Division of Tennessee. In 1913 he was appointed to the Tennessee Supreme Court. The next year he was elected to the court for a four year term. He served as first dean of the Lamar School of Law, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia from 1919 to 1924. Judge Williams retired to his home, "Aquone", at Johnson City, Tennessee. He was appointed to codify the laws of Tennessee in 1928 and in 1938 was a member of the Advisory Committee on the Rules of Civil Procedure in the Federal Courts. He died December 14, 1947.

Judge Williams was a scholar of Tennessee history and gave many items to Upper East Tennessee libraries and museums. He wrote the History of the Lost State of Franklin and many other books and articles on Tennessee. He was also in part responsible for providing the land and financing of the public library in Johnson City named in memory of his only son, Mayne Williams.

Important subjects covered in the collection include:

Slavery--Tennessee--Anti-slavery movements
Tennessee--History
Williams, Samuel Cole, 1864-1947

 

 

Folder Contents


Folder 1:

Copy of the manuscript notes taken by Judge Williams for a work entitled "Early Emancipation Movement in Tennessee", taken from Embree's History of the Emancipation Society of Tennessee, Lundy's Genius of Universal Emancipation, and letters to W.F. Rogers from Public Library of the City of Boston referring to early issues of Genius of Universal Emancipation, November 1, 1946; and from Oberlin College Library, Oberlin, Ohio concerning information from Genius of Universal Emancipation, December 6, 1946.

Folder 2:

Typescript of original manuscript notes taken by Judge Williams for a work entitled "Early Emancipation Movement in Tennessee", from Embree's History of the Emancipation Society in Tennessee and Lundy's Genius of Universal Emancipation, plus copies of two letters to W.F. Rogers from Public Library of the City of Boston, November 1, 1946 and from Oberlin College Library, Oberlin. Ohio, December 6, 1946.

 

Top of Finding Aid

 

MTC - modified GKY 02/28/02