We are proud of the offerings we have through the Department of Counseling and Human Services and are committed to quality education and programming. We are also interested in the success of our students and join you in your desire to complete your degree in a timely manner while also taking advantage of multiple opportunities to learn, experience, grow, and share.

Advisement is an important piece to success as a student. This is a joint effort - we are available for students in our various programs and we want you to seek out advisement to insure you are on the path to success. Advisement depends on the program so be sure to consult the resources and faculty in each program.

For our undergraduate programs :

For the Human Services degree and the two minors offered through the Human Services Program, advisement is required . It is beneficial to set up an advisement session early in starting the course work rather than later. Starting advisement early avoids any problems that may occur in the last few semesters a student is enrolled at East Tennessee State University. Check out our Human Services Advising page.

If you are seeking a B.S. in Human Services you will need to contact one of the following faculty:

Dr. Steve Cockerham (last names A-F)
Dr. Mary Langenbrunner (Last names G-L)
Ms. Teresa Brooks Taylor (Last names M-S)
Dr. Bill Garris (Last names T-Z)


If you are seeking a minor in either Human Development and Learning or Family Studies (regardless of your major) you will need to contact the program coordinator, Dr. Kridler at . Check out the requirements by clicking the left navigation links.

Want to change your major to Human Services?
Whenever you change your major, be mindful of the fact that you may be required to take additional coursework in the new major. For information regarding major coursework see our link: B. S. in Human Services. An Undergraduate Change of Major Form is available in the Office of the Registrar, Burgin E. Dossett Hall, Room 101. You must complete a change of major form to officially change university documents and to transfer your advisement to the department of your new major (Counseling and Human Services). To complete the form - make an appointment with one of the Human Services faculty members (see above).

Graduating soon - or thinking about graduation?
It is never too early to think about and plan for graduation - that is why you are here, right? First, check out the very helpful graduation website: It is critical to think about graduation prior to the semester you intend to graduate! There are many forms to be completed and these forms require conversations and signatures. It is very important to complete major/minor sheets at the latest the beginning of the semester prior to graduation to assure you have the requirements. For instance - graduating in May? Then seek advisement and form completion by October the semester prior. Graduating in December - then seek advisement and form completion by February!

For our Graduate program in Counseling

Individuals admitted to the MA in Counseling program are assigned advisers and meet with advisers at program orientation and throughout their program. It is incumbent on students to seek advisement to assure timely completion and meet career goals. The Counseling program makes use of a D2L program site to communicate information to students on a regular basis. Also check out the Graduate Studies site for information about program forms and graduation.  




Did you know?

The Counseling and Human Services programs have a long and rich history at ETSU. Both programs were formerly part of the Department of Human Development and Learning until it was separated into two departments in 2012 thus forming the Department of Counseling and Human Services and the Department of Teaching and Learning.








Shawn and Cassie

Shawn and Cassie graduated with the B.S. in Human Services and are now students in the M.A. in Counseling program here at ETSU. They are posing with Superman in their Play Therapy course.

direct edit