What kinds of graduate assistantships might be available for those in the TEML graduate program?
Research assistants: The graduate research assistant will work under the supervision of a faculty mentor.
Administrative assistants: The graduate administrative assistant may work at the level of a department, college, or university administrative unit.
Tuition scholarships: A tuition scholarship is a merit based award available to graduate students admitted to a graduate degree program for the first time.
Who qualifies for a graduate assistantship?
1. Only graduate students admitted to the School of Graduate Studies and accepted into a graduate degree program may hold an assistantship.
2. Graduate students who have previously taken graduate level courses must have at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
3. Graduate assistants must maintain a minimum cumulative 3.00 grade point average (GPA) to remain eligible for assistantship support.
4. International students are eligible for graduate assistantships as soon as they are unconditionally admitted as graduate students at East Tennessee State University.
5. Graduate assistants may be appointed for no more than two calendar years in a master's program.
How are tuition scholarships different from assistantships?
Tuition scholarship contracts are renewable, but must be consecutive. If a tuition scholarship student accepts a GA and performs those duties, then they cannot change back to a tuition scholarship.
How do I apply for an assistantship?
To apply for a Graduate Assistantship (GA) or Tuition Scholarship (TS) you must first check the appropriate box on your graduate school application package. We strongly encourage you to contact the department in which you would want to work and express your interest in a GA or TS. You may then view current vacancies by clicking on the Current List of Available GA & TS Positions, here: (http://www.etsu.edu/gradstud/GATS_Positions.aspx) .