First grade is not quite in full swing, but we are getting there day by day and inch by inch. Here are some things that are happening in our room:
- We have learned to look one another in the eye and say “Good Morning” while shaking hands. Our eventual goal is to be as proper as two Presidents of the USA greeting one another for a game of golf. Baby steps!
- We are learning to listen to each other’s shares, ask good questions, make thoughtful comments, and remember and record important details about the share.
- We have learned the Beanbag Boogie game, the Mack Chicken Dance Medley, and Stick to the Glue. We also listen and draw music and tell stories inspired by pieces of art.
- We read our News and Announcements chart orally together each morning to build reading fluency and confidence.
- We are learning to navigate using the smartboard and the new interactive math programs to enrich our math lessons.
- We are learning to use the materials in our classroom as math learning tools.
- We are reviewing concepts of addition from kindergarten and learning how first graders show their work and talk about their math thinking.
- We read and studied At the Top of My Voice by Felice Holman. We borrowed her technique of using exaggeration and published our own book of first grade exaggerations.
- We are currently studying A New Friend by Maria Fleming and working on using describing words to tell about each other in our new collaborative poem currently in the process of being written and illustrated.
- We are reviewing (quickly) letter sounds and building skills we will need for our “Make A Book” center when it opens.
- We are playing the Name Game to practice syllables, word study skills, and learn to spell each other’s names
- We are learning about main idea and supporting details.
- We are reading a non-fiction book about habitats around the world.
- We are using other classroom resources to dig deeper into our research on habitats.
- We are learning that good readers learn new vocabulary words when they read.
- We are working together as a class to create and agree upon a set of classroom rules. We will vote on the rules, come up with how to help each other follow the rules, and consequences if rules are broken.