1. Course director:
A. Medical Histology, J.H. Quillen College of Medicine, 1981-1991.
B. Biological Ultrastructure, J. H. Quillen College of Medicine, 1983-present.
C. Cell & Tissue Biology, J.H. Quillen College of Medicine, 1992-2009
2. Associate Chairman, Department of Anatomy & Cell Biology, 1985-2009
3. Assistant Dean, School of Graduate Studies, East Tennessee State University,
4. Acting Associate Vice President for Research and Dean of Graduate School,
East Tennessee State University, 1989.
5. Director, EM Core Facility, College of Medicine, 2004-2008
- J.H. Quillen College of Medicine Research Forum, Organizing Committee: 1985, 1986,
1987, 1990; judge: 1985, 1992.
- Admissions Committee, Quillen-Dishner College of Medicine: 1985, 1986, 1987; screener/reviewer:
1985, 1986, 1987.
- Faculty Advisory Council, Quillen-Dishner College of Medicine: 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984,
- Promotion and Tenure Committee, J.H. Quillen College of Medicine, 1989-1992; 2001-2004.
- Faculty Senator, East Tennessee State University, 1993-1995.
- Core Facility Planning and Vertical Curriculum Review Committees, J. H. Quillen College
- Advisor, fund raiser, and Health Careers Symposium Coordinator for Medical Explorer
Post, Boy Scouts of America; J.H. Quillen College of Medicine, 1983-1990.
- Long Range planning Committee, Biomedical Science Graduate Program, 1995-present.
- Community service: (1) seminars and demonstrations of E.M. laboratory facilities to
local schools, clubs and charitable organizations.
- Women's and Gender Issues, 1996-2001.
- Continuing Medical Education Committee, 1999-present.
- Director, EM Core Facility, ETSU Quillen College of Medicine, 2003-present.
|Invited Presentations - Scholarly Activities ( Regional, National, & International)
- Editorial Experience
- Visiting scientist, Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Salsbury Cove, ME,
- Invited speaker, Sigma Xi, 1982; "Application of Stereology to Research"; 2000, "
Fine Structure of the Honey Bee"
- Invited external consultant on proposed masters degree program in biology, University
of North Carolina at Wilmington, 1986.
- Guest Editor, J. Electron Microscopy Technique, 1991 Topical Issue: "The Fine Structure
of Blood Vessels"
- Invited Symposium speaker "SCANNING-1991", Atlantic City, N.J., State-of-the-Art Review
on "Vascular Corrosion Casting"
- Invited dinner speaker: "Honey Bees and Pollination", Appalachian Regional Electron
Microscopy Society, Virginia Tech Univ., Fall, 1996.
- Invited presenter, "Unusual Features of the Microvasculature of the Urinary Bladder
Revealed by Vascular Corrosion Casting", 2nd International Malpighi Symposium, Universita
Di Roma, La Sapienza, Rome, Italy, September 14-16, 1995
- Invited seminar: "Unusual features of the Microvasculature of the Urinary Bladder
as Revealed by Vascular Casting", April, 1997; Texas A. & M. University, Health Science
Center, College Station, TX
- Invited seminar: " Microvasculature of the Urinary Bladder of the Rabbit"; University
- College of Medicine, Department of Cell Biology and Neuroanatomy, Minneapolis, MN,
- Key Note speaker: "Vascular Corrosion Casting and its Application in Elucidating Some
Unique Features of the Microvasculature of the Rabbit Urinary Bladder", Alabama Imaging
and Microscopy Society Meeting, Perdido Beach, AL, February, 1998.
- Invited seminar: " The Microvasculature of the Urinary Bladder", University of Vienna,
First Department of Anatomy, Vienna, Austria, June, 1998.
- Symposium organizer: "Advances in Vascular Corrosion Casting in Research"; annual
meetings of Microscopy Society of America - 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, & 2005
- Invited conference speaker (Microvasculature of the Urinary Bladder", and "Quantitative
Applications of Vascular Corrosion Casting") and consultant on teaching programs,
Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, University
of Sao Paulo, Brazil; October 19-26, 1999.
- Visiting Professorship - University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria. September 1 -
October 1, 2001.
- Invited Seminar; Anatomisches Institut, Univ. Basel, Switzerland; Sept.14, 2001. Quantitative
applications of vascular corrosion casting
- Editorial Board, Journal of Biotechnic & Histochemistry, 2002-2009
- Invited speaker, Microscopy Society of America, San Antonio, TX, 2003. Ask The Experts:
Vascular Corrosion Casting, Microscopy & Microanal. 9 (supp. 1), 2003.
- Invited speaker, SEEMS EM society meeting, Microvasculature of the mammalian urinary
bladder - a preliminary comparative study with corrosion casts, March 31, 2006, Gatlinburg,
20. Invited speaker: University of Florida Bee College; March 10-12, 2011; "Ultrastructural
Anatomy of the Honey Bee in 3-D"
- Current Research Interests:
- Three-dimensional microvasculature of various normal and pathologic organs and tissues
(e.g. heart, lung, bladder, salt gland, teleost gill) studied with vascular corrosion
casting, morphometry and scanning electron microscopy.
- Three dimensional microvasculature of the mammalian urinary bladder using vascular
corrosion casting and scanning electron microscopy.
- Na,K,-ATPase-rich epithelia and their response to osmotic load. Rate of salt water
to freshwater adaptation in euryhaline teleosts. Response of microvasculature, Na,K-ATPase,
and plasma membrane to osmotic stress in the avian salt gland.
- Methods of quantitation of the three-dimensional microvasculature of tissues and organs
using vascular corrosion casting, scanning electron microscopy, and confocal microscopy
- Research Grants and Other Support:
- Louisiana State University Institutional Research Grants: 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978.
- National Institutes of Health: RO1, Gm24953, "The site and mechanism of plasma membrane
renewal", 1978-1981; P.I.
- Research Development Committee grants, East Tennessee State University, 1981, 1984,
1986, 1988, 1992.
- Deafness Research Foundation, "On the mechanism of endolymph production in the cochlea
histological and ultrastructural localization of the Na,K-ATPase", 1981-1982, P.I.
- Successful applicant for Burrough's Wellcome Foundation grant for "Wellcome Lecturer",
Dr. Russell Barrnett, Section of Cell Biology, Yale University College of Medicine,
- Southern Medical Association: ''Microvasculature of the mammalian myocardium", 1984;
"On the mechanism of endolymph synthesis in the avian cochlea", 1985.
- National Institutes of Health, NIDDK: RO1, Dk47563-01, "Mucosal Integrity in Female
and Male Rabbit Bladders"; contract P.I. with Frederick Monson, P.I., Univ. of Penna.;
- Contract with Bio-Tree Systems, Inc., 2006. Preparation of organ casts.
|Publications - Abstracts Presented (Last five years)
- Czymmek, K., R.C. Wagner, F.E. Hossler, and R. Kao. Imaging and volumetric quantitation
of vascular corrosion casts with laser scanning confocal microscopy. Micros. & Microanal.
6 (2), 562-563; Proceedings Microscopy & Microanalysis 2000, Aug. 13-17, 2000, Philadelphia,
- Ridner, C.W., R.L. Kao, and F. E. Hossler. Microvasculature of the urinary bladder
of the dog studied with light microscopy, electron microscopy and vascular corrosion
casts. Microsc. & Microanal. 8 (Suppl. 2), 224-225, 2002; August 6, 2002, Quebec City,
- Hossler, F. E., C.W. Ridner, and R.L Kao. Microvasculature of the dog urinary bladder
revealed with vascular corrosion casting and SEM. Tennessee Academy of Science, Nov.
15, 2002, ETSU, Johnson City, TN.
- Hossler, F. E. Vascular Corrosion Casting, invited presentation: Ask the Experts Symposium,
Microscopy Society of America meeting, San Antonio, TX, August, 2004.
- Hossler, F.E., R.L. Kao, and F.C. Monson. Microvasculature of the mammalian urinary
bladder - a preliminary comparative study using vascular corrosion casting. Microsc.
& Microanal. 11 (Suppl. 1), 130, Aug. 3, 2005, Honolulu, HI.
- Wagner, R.C., K. Czymmek, and F. E. Hossler. Confocal microscopy, modeling and quantitation
of corroded and non-corroded casts of microvascular systems. Microsc. & Microanal.
11 (Suppl. 1), 130, Aug. 3, 2005, Honolulu, HI.
- Hossler, F., J. Heintz, M. Christensen, J. Weichert, and R. Albrecht. Contrast agents
for CT and MRI of vascular casts. Microsc. & Microanal. 13 (Suppl. 2), 490CD, Aug.
7, 2007, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.
- Hossler, F. E., A.Lametschwandtner, R.L.Kao, , C. Bills, and F. Fensterbusch. Microvascular
architecture of the mouse urinary bladder described with vascular corrosion casting.
light microscopy, SEM and TEM. Microsc & Microanal, July 27, 2009, Richmond, VA.
|Publications - Full Papers In Reviewed Journals (Last five years)
- Wagner, D.L., E.W. Hossler, and F.E. Hossler. The larva and pupa of Bomolocha edictalis.
J. of the Lepidopterists Society, in press (2006).
- Wagner, R.C., K. Czymmek, and F. E. Hossler. Confocal microscopy, computer modeling
and quantitation of glomerular vascular corrosion casts. Microsc, & Microanal. 12:262-268
- Hossler, F. E., and R. Kao. The microvasculature of the dog urinary bladder studied
with vascular corrosion casting. In preparation, 2006. Wagner, R.C., K. Czymmek,
and F. E. Hossler. Confocal microscopy, computer modeling and quantitation of glomerular
vascular corrosion casts. Microsc. Microanal. 12:262-268 (2006).
- Wagner, D.L., E.W. Hossler, and F.E. Hossler. Not a tiger but a dagger: The larva
of Comachara cadburyi and reassignment of the genus to Acronictinae (Lepidoptera;
Noctuidae) Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 99(4):638-647 (2006).
- Hossler, F. E., and R.L. Kao. The microvasculature of the dog urinary bladder studied
with vascular corrosion casting. Microsc. Microanal. 13:220-227 (2007).
- Wagner, R.C., and F. E. Hossler. Tomographic modeling of casted blood vascular systems.
In Focus 11:4-21 (2008).
- Negi, S., A. Halawa, D.S. Chi, C. Miller, F. Hossler, G. Youngberg, D.A. Johnson,
and G. Krishnaswamy. Mast cell regulation of cardiovascular inflammation I: Cognate
and non-cognate interactions. In: Mast Cells and Cardiovascular Disease, ed. Joseph,
J., Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge, NY. 2010.
- Negi, S., A. Halawa, C. Miller, D.S. Chi, F. Hossler, and G. Krishnaswamy. Mast cell
regulation of cardiovascular inflammation II: Infection and innate immunity. In:
Mast Cells and Cardiovascular Disease, ed. Joseph, J., Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge,
- Wagner, R., D. Van Loo, F. Hossler, K. Czymmek, E. Pauwels, and L. Van Hoorebeke.
High resolution imaging of kidney vascular corrosion casts with nano-CT. Microsc.
Microanal. 17:215-219 (2011).
- Wagner, D.L., E.W. Hossler, and F.E. Hossler. The larva and pupa of Bomolocha edictalis.
J. of the Lepidopterists Society (in preparation).
- R. Wagner, S. Modla, F. Hossler, and K. Czymmek. Three-dimensional analysis and computer
modeling of the capillary endothelial vesicular system with electron tomography.
Microcirculation 19:477-484 (2012).