CONSTITUTION OF STUDENT WOMEN IN MEDICINE
ARTICLE - NAME
- The name of the organization shall be Student Women in Medicine.
ARTICLE II - PURPOSE
- To support the education of women in medicine at the James H. Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University and women in medicine everywhere.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
- Membership in this organization shall be open to all female faculty, residents, and medical students as well as any person interested in women's issues in medicine who will support our purpose as stated above.
- Membership shall be for an unlimited amount of time as long as the individual maintains an interest in women's issues at James H. Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University and women's issues in medicine in general.
- Any member who pays dues shall be considered in good standing. Those who are financially unable to pay dues will be excused from doing so and shall be considered in good standing.
ARTICLE IV - DUES
- The local dues of the Student Women in Medicine is to be set at the first quarterly meeting of each academic year by a majority vote (51% or more) of the members present. Dues are to be paid at the second and third quarterly meetings.
- In the event this organization were to be dissolved, the funds will be donated to Safe Passage Women's Shelter.
ARTICLE V - OFFICERS
- The officers of this organization shall consist of a chairperson, a vice-chairperson, and a secretary / treasurer. Other offices shall be created as necessary.
- OFFICERS ARE MEMBERS OF THE ORGANIZATIONAL COMMITTEE. OFFICERS SHALL BE ELECTED EITHER BY A VOLUNTEER BASIS OR BY ELECTION FROM THE ORGANIZATIONAL COMMITTEE, WHICHEVER IS DEEMED NECESSARY BY THE ORGANIZATIONAL COMMITTEE AS A WHOLE. SELECTION OF OFFICERS FOR THE UPCOMING ACADEMIC YEAR SHOULD OCCUR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SPRING SEMESTER. ARTICLE VI OF THE CONSTITUTION SHOULD BE READ AND REVIEWED AT THE MEETING IN WHICH THE SELECTION TAKES PLACE.
- The terms of office shall be for one year, June to June. Officers may be reelected for one term.
- An officer may be removed from office by a majority vote of the organizational committee for not adequately performing duties, as detailed below, and / or for lack of support of the Student Women in Medicine's interest as a whole.
- Should an office become vacant in mid-term, a new officer shall be selected either by volunteer basis or by election, whichever the organizational committee deems necessary as a whole.
- Requirements to be an officer include being a faculty member, resident, or medical student.
- An official advisor(s) for the upcoming academic year will be selected by the organization committee at the same time as other officer elections.
ARTICLE VI - DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- The chairperson of the organizational committee shall serve as the official representative of the Student Women in Medicine. The chairperson is responsible for the following:
i) Overseeing the organizational committee to ensure the committee's goals are consistent with the purpose of and in the best interest of the Student Women in Medicine.
ii) Presiding over the scheduled meetings and be responsible for calling meetings as necessary. Robert's Rules of Order will be followed.
iii) Appointing another organizational committee member to preside over any meeting the chairperson and vice-chairperson are unable to attend.
iv) Appointing subcommittees as necessary to fulfill the goals of the organizational committee and the Student Women in Medicine as a whole.
v) Filing Student Organization Petition for Registration as required by the student Activities Center of the university by August 31 of each year.
- The vice-chairperson shall be responsible for the following:
i) Preside over any meeting the chairperson is unable to attend.
ii) Preside over all subcommittee meetings of the organizational committee.
iii) Report to chairperson and organizational committee on all activities of subcommittees of the organization committee.
iv) Maintain chronological record of all written documents concerning the Student Women in Medicine.
- The secretary shall be responsible for the following:
i) Submitting minutes of all organizational committee meetings and quarterly meetings.
ii) Maintaining calendar of all the Student Women in Medicine activities.
iii) Filing the year-end summary of activities as required by the Student Activities Center of the university with the official Advisor Agreement form if there is a change in the advisor after the spring semester selection or any other time during the year.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for the following:
i) Collection of dues at the second and third quarterly meetings from those able to pay.
ii) Depositing all funds in the organization's account requiring two signatures (the treasurer and the chairperson) before expenditures can be made.
iii) Submitting a brief annual report at the end of the academic year of account activities of the past year.
ARTICLE VII - ORGANIZATIONAL COMMITTEE
- The organizational committee consists of volunteers from the membership of the Student Women in Medicine. Ideally, organizational committee members will represent the faculty, residents, and all four classes of the medical school.
- The organizational committee shall be composed of no more than one third of the entire membership of the Student Women in Medicine. If more than one third the entire membership of the Student Women in Medicine should volunteer for the organizational committee, selection of organizational committee members will be via election by the Student Women in Medicine members.
- The purpose of the organizational committee is to organize the Student Women in Medicine activities and to facilitate the Student Women in Medicine officers in performing their duties.
- There shall be a minimum of two meetings of the organizational committee per semester during the spring and fall semesters. Additional meetings may be called by the chairperson as necessary.
- Organizational committee members must attend 50% of all organizational committee meetings per semester in order to remain on the committee the following semester.
- A quorum for conducting business shall be considered to be 51% or more of the members of the organizational committee.
ARTICLE VIII - MEETINGS
- All general meetings shall be open to female faculty, residents, and medical students as well as any person interested in women's issues in medicine.
- The faculty advisor(s) should attend a minimum of 50% of the regularly scheduled meetings of this organization.
- There will be a minimum of two meetings per year.
ARTICLE IX - AMENDMENTS
- This constitution may be amended during any quarterly meeting by any member submitting a proposal change and being passed by a majority vote of those present at the quarterly meeting.
- This organization will be subject to the rules and regulations of TBR and ETSU.