Shimin Zheng, Ph.D.
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
Office: Room 46B Lamb Hall
M.S. in Biostatistics (2001) University of Alabama at Birmingham
Ph.D. in Biostatistics (2003) University of Alabama at Birmingham
MS. in Mathematics (2005) University of Alabama at Birmingham
Biostatistics I (BSTA 5310)
Biostatistics II (BSTA 5350)
Categorical Data Analysis (BSTA 5370)
Advanced Multivariate Analysis (BSTA 6410)
Applied Epidemiologic Analysis (EPID 6420)
SAS Programming with Statistical Applications (BSTA 5380)
- Statistical distribution theory
- Longitudinal data analysis
- Categorical data analysis
- Statistical simulation and computation
- Multivariate analysis
- Survival analysis
- Sample size and power
- Model selection
- Cardiovascular disease, cancer, depression and substance abuse
- N. Chernov, Shimin Zheng. Linearization of regression problems with optimal weights. Presentation at 2006 Hawaii International Conference on Statistics, Mathematics and Related Fields, January 16, 2006 in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- M Williams, R Kristofco, L Casebeer, M Saag, Shimin Zheng, S Katta. Uncertainty in medical practice of physicians treating HIV-infected patients. The XV International AIDS Conference, 2004. Abstract TuPeD5196. Bangkok, Thailand.
- Huang D, Bidesi A, Shimin Zheng, Rao U: Hippocampal changes associated with adolescent depression. Presented at the 93rd Annual Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons, New Orleans, LA, October 7-11, 2007.
- Rao U, Huang D, Shimin Zheng, Bidesi A: Effect of early adversity on hippocampal volume in depressed adolescents. Presented at the 46th Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Boca Raton, FL, December 9-13, 2007.
- Huang D, Shimin Zheng, Bidesi A, Rao U: Hippocampal changes associated with adolescent depression. Presented at the The 46th Annual Medical Student Research Forum, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, January 22, 2008.
- Gerald Jogerst Gerald, Jogerst Mee, Young Kim, Shimin Zheng. Predictors of Acceptable Treatments for Late-life Depression, accepted by the NAPCRG Program Committee for presentation at the 2009 NAPCRG Annual Meeting being held Nov 14-18, 2009 at Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel, West Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Quinn, M., Shimin Zheng, Baker, K. (2012, April 5). Predictors of Late Stage Melanoma Diagnosis: Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Patients in Tennessee. Oral presentation presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN.
- Kate Callahan, Shimin Zheng, Xuefeng Liu. (2012, April 5). A Cross-Sectional Analysis Of Factors Associated With Violation Of Maine's Legislation Prohibiting Smoking In Vehicles Containing Children. Oral presentation presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN.
- David Blackley, Shimin Zheng, and Winn Ketchum. (2012, April 5). Implementing A Spatial Smoothing Algorithm To Help Identify A Lung Cancer Belt In The United States. Poster session presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN.
- Yang Chen, Shimin Zheng, and Liang Wang. (2013, April 4). The relationship between Calcium Intake and Hypertension among Obese Adults. Oral presentation presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN. (won the 3rd prize)
- Kate Callahan, Shimin Zheng, and Colleen Scott. (2013, April 4). Trends and Characteristics of Occupational Lyme Disease In Maine, 1999-2011. Poster session presented at the Appalachian Student Research Forum, Johnson City, TN.
- Yang Chen, Katie Callahan, David Blackley, Yan Cao, Shimin Zheng.(2013) Calcium intake associated with risk factors for cardiovascular disease among obese adults. Submitted for the APHA-Student Assembly program of the 141st APHA Annual Meeting (Nov. 2 - 6, 2013), Boston, MA.
- Megan Quinn, Shimin Zheng, Hadii M. Mamudu, Martin Whiteside, James L. Anderson. (2013) Adolescent and young adult cancer in Tennessee: An overview of findings. Submitted for the Cancer Forum program of the 141st APHA Annual Meeting (Nov. 2 - 6, 2013), Boston, MA.
- Karan P. Singh, Alfred A.Bartolucci, Shimin Zheng. (2003). Mixed-Effects Linear Models based on Elliptically Contoured Distribution Assumptions. Advances and Applications in Statististics, 3(2):135-143.
Shimin Zheng, Sejong Bae, Alfred A.Bartolucci and Karan P. Singh. Power Exponential Distributions. (2003). International Journal of Reliability and Applications, 4(3):97-111.
- Alfred A.Bartolucci, Shimin Zheng, and Karan P. Singh. (2003). Random Regression Models Based on the Elliptically Contoured Distribution Assumptions with Applications to Longitudinal Data. Journal of Modern Applied Statistical Methods, 2(2):359-370.
Shimin Zheng, Uma Rao, Alfred A. Bartolucci, and Karan P. Singh. (2009). Random Regression Models Based on the Skew Elliptically Contoured Distribution Assumptions with Applications to Longitudinal Data. Journal of Applied Probability and Statistics, 4(1):21-32.
- Michael E. Ernst, Barry L. Carter, Shimin Zheng, Richard H. Grimm. (2010). Meta-Analysis of Dose-response Characteristics of Hydrochlorothiazide and Chlorthalidone: Effects on Systolic Blood Pressure and Potassium. American Journal of Hypertension, 23(4):440-446.
- Cynthia A. Weber, Michael E. Ernst, Genesis S. Sezate, Shimin Zheng, Barry L. Carter. (2010). Pharmacist-Physician Comanagement of Hypertension Reduces 24-hour Ambulatory Blood Pressures. Arch Intern Med, 170(18):1634-1639.
- Gerald J. Jogerst MD, Shimin Zheng, Mee Young Kim, Elena Frolova. (2012). Late-Life Depression: An International Study. Family Practice, 29(4):407-415.
Shimin Zheng, J. M. Hardin and A. K. Gupta. (2012). The Inverse Problem of Multivariate and Matrix Variate Skew Normal Distribution. Statistics -- A Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics, 46(3):361-371.
- Gerald J. Jogerst MD, Jeanette M. Daly RH, PhD, Shimin Zheng, Yinghui Xu. (2012). Substance Abuse Associated with Elder Abuse in the United States. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 38(1):63-69.
Shimin Zheng, A. K. Gupta. (2012). A New Approach to Statistical Efficiency of Weighted Least Squares Fitting Algorithms for Reparameterization of Nonlinear Regression Models. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 142(4):1001-1008.
- David Blackley, Behringer, Bruce, Shimin Zheng. (2012). Cancer Mortality Rates in Appalachia: Descriptive Epidemiology and an Approach to Explaining Differences in Outcomes. Journal of Community Health, 37(4):804-813.
- KS Wang, XF Liu, Shimin Zheng, Min Zeng, Yue Pan, Katie Callahan. (2012). A novel locus for body mass index on 5p15.2: A meta-analysis of two genome-wide association studies. Gene, 500(1):80-84.
- David Blackley, Shimin Zheng, Winn Ketchum. (2012). Implementing a weighted spatial smoothing algorithm to identify a lung cancer belt in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology, 36(5):436-438.
- Wang L, Anderson JL, Dalton WT, Wu TJ, Liu XC, Shimin Zheng, Liu XF. (2013). Maternal Depressive Symptoms and the Risk of Overweight in Their Children. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 17(5); 940-948
Shimin Zheng, Jeff Knisley, Kesheng Wang. (2013). Moments and quadratic forms of matrix variate skew normal distribution. Communications in Statistics-Theory and Method, (in press).
- Sreenivas P Veeranki, James L Anderson, Shimin Zheng. (2013). Trends and Determinants of Up-to-date Screening Status of Colorectal Cancer, Tennessee, 2002-2008. International Journal of Preventive Medicine (in press).
- Sheryl M. Strasser, Megan Smith, Scott Weaver, Shimin Zheng, Yan Cao. (2013). Screening for Elder Mistreatment among Older Adults Seeking Legal Assistance Services. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, 14(4); 309-315.
Research Projects (2006-present)
1. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Interventions to Improve Colon Cancer Screening in Poor Rural Iowa Counties. ACS, 2008-2010.
2. Shimin Zheng (Co-I). Comparative Effectiveness of FIT vs. colonoscopy for colon cancer screening. NIH R15, 2009-2010.
3. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Management by Primary Care Clinicians of Patients Suspected of Having Community-Acquired, Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (CA-MRSA) . AHRQ, 2008-2010.
4. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Iowa Research Network (IRENE): A Rural Primary Care Practice Based Research Network. AHRQ, 2008-2010.
5. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). An evaluation of the Wise QI program screening. NIH R15, 2008-2009.
6. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Treatment prediction in adolescent and adult depression. NIH R15, 2006-2008.
7. Shimin Zheng (Statistician). Stress response and smoking cessation in youth using a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled design. NIH R15, 2006-2008.
8. Shimin Zheng (Statistician) Risk for substance abuse in depressed adolescents. NIH R01, 2006-2008.
American Statistical Association
Table Tennis, Reading, Music.