Master of Science in Environmental Health (MSEH)
The goal of this degree program is to prepare environmental specialists by increasing understanding of interrelationships between environmental factors and human health. Environmental health service needs are complex and increasing because of changes brought about by economic and technological advances. Technical specialists in environmental health require a comprehensive education in basic and applied sciences. The educational objectives of the program are to provide the student with an opportunity to:
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Environmental Health Sciences
The purpose of the Environmental Health Sciences Ph.D. Program is to promote the environmental health sciences, and identify, prevent, and manage disease and injury. This purpose will be fulfilled through dedication to higher (doctoral level) education and training, distinction in research, innovation in policy development, and improvement of health strategies. The doctoral program will prepare professionals in the environmental health sciences to:
1. Reduce the burden of environmentally associated diseases by defining:
a. how environmental exposures affect human health;
b. how individuals differ in their susceptibility to these exposures; and
c. how these susceptibilities change over the life span.
2. Develop and implement effective strategies and programs for the maintenance of health and the prevention and management of disease and injury.
3. Serve as faculty and instructors for academic programs in environmental health.
4. Develop effective environmental health policies.
5. Design and conduct quality research that contributes to improvements in environmental health.
6. Collaborate and work with communities for the promotion of health and the prevention and control of disease.
7. Meet the increasing need for trained professionals in environmental health, including those who can analyze and address environmental health issues.
8. Investigate environmental conditions that may affect a community's health status, and provide technical assistance and leadership to address the concerns of communities.
9. Provide skills and knowledge in the public health core area of environmental health.
Dr. Kurt Maier
Phone: (423) 439-5251
Graduate Catalog Links
Attention: For those interested in applying to any one of the three environmental health graduate programs you will have to make application through SOPHAS.