Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
China-Tennessee Health Education Training Institute
Office Address: Lamb Hall, room 149F
DrPH Epidemiology (2011) East Tennessee State University
MPH Epidemiology (2008) East Tennessee State University
MD Medicine (2004) Wuhan University of Science and Technology
Epidemiology I (EPID 5400)
Epidemiology II (EPID 5405)
Advanced multivariate analysis (EPID 6410)
Applied epidemiology analysis (EPID 6420)
Doctor Public Health Dissertation (EPID 6960)
Graduate Research (EPID 5029)
Honors and Awards
- The Westlake Summer Youth Forum on Health Policy and Systems Sciences (HPSS) Travel Fellowship Award, 2012 and 2015, respectively.
- Faculty Mentor of the Year Nominee, 21st Annual Compact for Faculty Diversity Institute on
- Teaching and Mentoring, Atlanta, GA, USA: Southern Regional Education Board (SREB)-
- State Doctoral Scholars Program
- American Public Health Association (APHA) Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Section Outstanding Student Author for 2009-2010 and 2010-2011, respectively.
- Member of the Alpha Pi Chapter of the Delta Omega: Honorary Society in Public Health
- Elected Full Member of the American College of Epidemiology (M.A.C.E. distinction)
- Biostatistics and Epidemiology Student Award of Excellence, East Tennessee State University, 2010.
- SAS (Statistics Analysis System) Base Programmer for 9.1 Certification with 100% Score.
- Top 5 National Trainee: GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Pharmaceutical Company, Great China Area, 2004.
- President of Student Government of undergraduate and high school, respectively
- One of five representatives of Guangzhou City for competing in CCTV for "Samsung Intelligence Express".
- Member of the Obesity Society, American Society of Nutrition, the Society of Epidemiologic Research, the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, American Heart Association, American Public Health Association, and the Planning Committee member of China Health Policy and Management Society, etc.
- Guest Editor for Special Issue of Nutrition Discovery on Non-communicable Chronic Diseases
- Invited honorable speaker and judger for the presentation awards for the 1st International Congress on Childhood Obesity and Hypertension, Beijing, China, May 29-31, 2015
- Guest speaker for the 12th China National Nutrition Science Congress, Beijing, May 16-18, 2015
- Commentator for the 1st and 2nd Westlake Summer Youth Forum on Health Policy and Systems Sciences.
Obesity, health disparities, application of advanced statistical data analysis methods in epidemiologic research, non-communicable chronic diseases (e.g., type 2 diabetes, hypertension), maternal and child health.
Selected Reviewer Experiences (from 20 journals)
Maternal and Child Health Journal
International Journal of Obesity
The Journal of Rural Health
General Internal Medicine
Maternal and Child Nutrition
Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health
Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology
Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics
International Journal of Public Health
Selected Publications (2011-2015 August, from 51 publications)
Wang L. Cui L, Wang Y, et al. heart rate and the risk of developing impaired fasting glucose and diabetes: the Kailuan prospective study. International Journal of Epidemiology. 2015; 44(2): 689-99. [Impact factor=9.2]
Wang L, Wang K, Gao X, et al. Sex difference in the association between obesity and asthma in U.S. adults: Findings from a national study. Respiratory Medicine. 2015; 109(8):955-62. [Impact factor=3.1]
- Liang Y, Hou D, Zhao X, Wang L, Hu Y, Liu J, et al. Childhood obesity affects adult metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Endocrine. 2015 Mar 10. [Epub ahead print] [Impact factor=3.9]
- Mamudu H, Paul T, Veeranki S, Wang L, Panchal H, Budoff M. Subclinical atherosclerosis and relationship with risk factors of coronary artery disease in a rural population. American Journal of Medical Sciences (in press). [Impact factor=1.4]
- Slawson D, Dalton W, Dula T, Southerland J, Wang L, Littleton M, Mozen D, Relyea G, Schetzina K, Lowe E, Stoots J, Wu T. College students as facilitators in reducing adolescent obesity disparity in Southern Appalachia: Team Up for Healthy Living. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 2015; 43: 39-52. [Impact factor=1.9]
Wang L, Slawson DL, Relyea G, Southerland J, Wang Y. Prevalence of and risk factors for adolescent obesity in southern Appalachia, 2012. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2014; 11: E222 [Impact factor=2.1]
- Liang Y, Hou D, Shan X, Zhao X, Hu Y, Jiang B, Wang L, et al. Cardiovascular remodeling relates to elevated childhood blood pressure: Beijing Blood Pressure Cohort Study. International Journal of Cardiology. 2014; 177(3):836-839.[Impact factor=4.0]
- Dalton W, Wang L, Southerland J, Schetzina K, Slawson D. Utilizing Self-Reported versus Actual Weight and Height Data Contributes to Different Weight Misperception Classifications. Southern Medical Journal.2014; 107(6): 348-355. [Impact factor=1.1]
Wang L, Mamudu HM, Alamian A, Anderson JL, Brook B. Independent and joint effects of prenatal maternal smoking and maternal exposure to secondhand smoke on the development of adolescent obesity: A longitudinal study. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2014; 50(11):908-915. [Impact factor=1.2]
- Tian X, Zhao G, Li Y, Wang L*, Shi Y. Overweight and obesity difference of Chinese population between different urbanization levels. The Journal of Rural Health. 2014; 30(1):101-112. (*Corresponding author). [Impact factor=1.8]
- Zhang M, Zhao X, Cheng H, Wang L, Xi B, Shen Y, Hou D, Mi J. Age- and sex-dependent association of FTO rs9939609 with obesity-related traits in Chinese children and adolescents. PLoS ONE. 2014; 9(5):e97545. [Impact factor=3.5]
- Li Q, Xiong R, Wang L, Cui J, Shi L, Liu Y, Luo B. Associations of dietary habits, physical activity, and cognitive views with gestational diabetes mellitus among Chinese women. Public Health Nutrition. 2014; 19(8):1850-1857. [Impact factor=2.5]
Wang L, Mamudu HM, Wu TJ. The Impact of maternal prenatal smoking on the development of childhood overweight in school-aged children. Pediatric Obesity. 2013; 8(3):178-188. [Impact factor=4.6]
- Liu X, Wang K, Wang L, Tsilimingras D. Microalbuminuria, Macroalbuminuria and uncontrolled blood pressure among diagnosed hypertensive patients: the aspect of racial disparity in the NHANES study. Hypertension Research. 2013; 36(12):1100-1106. [Impact factor=2.7]
Wang L, Anderson JL, Dalton WT, Wu TJ, Liu CX, Zheng SM, Liu XF. Maternal depressive symptoms and the risk of overweight in their children. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2013; 17(5):940-948. [Impact factor=2.1]
Wang L, Liu XF, Luo XG, Zeng M, Zuo LJ, Wang K. Genetic variants in the fat mass- and obesity- associated (FTO) gene are associated with alcohol dependence. Journal of Molecular Neuroscience. 2013; 51(2):416-424. [Impact factor=2.3]
Wang L, Alamian A, Southerland J, Wang K, Anderson JL, Stevens M. Cesarean section and the risk of overweight in grade 6 children. European Journal of Pediatrics. 2013; 172(10):1341-1347. [Impact factor=1.9]
- Southerland J, Wang L, Richards K, Pack R, Slawson DL. Misperceptions of overweight: associations of weight misperception with health-related quality of life among normal-weight college students. Public Health Report. 2013; 128(6):562-568. [Impact factor=1.7]
Wang L, Dalton WT, Schetzina KE, Fulton-Robinson H, Holt N, Ho Ai-leng, Tudiver F, Wu TJ. Modeling aspects of home food environment with dietary intake and body mass index among overweight and obese children in southern Appalachia. Southern Medical Journal. 2013; 106(10):550-557. [Impact factor=1.1]
Wang L, Wu T, Anderson J, Florence L. Prevalence and risk factors of maternal depression during the first three years of child-rearing. Journal of Women's Health (Larchmt). 2011; 20: 711-718. [Impact factor=2.1]
Li X, Li Y, Guo H, Wang L, et al. (2013). Health Literacy: surveillance and evaluation guide. Nanjing, China: Southeast University Press.
Wang L. HEAL (Healthy Eating Active Living) Appalachia: Fighting obesity for our children. American Public Health Association (APHA) Student Assembly (SA), the winter 2010 issue of News & Views, the Student Assembly newsletter.
Selected Published Abstracts (from >20 abstracts)
- Alamian A, Wang L, Pitts M, Ikekwere J, Hall A. Infant sleep problems increase the odds of childhood overweight at grade 6: differential effects of commonly used definitions of sleep problems. Circulation. 2014;129(Suppl 1):AP106.
- Southerland J, Wang L, Dalton W, Slawson D. Weight misperception and health-related quality of life in Appalachian adolescents. Circulation. 2014;129(Suppl 1):AP287.
Wang L, Alamian A, Southerland J, Wang KS, Anderson JL, Stevens M. Cesarean section associated with increased risk for overweight and obesity in grade six children. Circulation. 2013: 127: AP289.
Wang L, Mamudu HM, Anderson JM, Alamian A. Maternal smoking during pregnancy and the risk of adolescent obesity. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2012;175(Suppl 11):1-145.
Selected Presentations (from >20)
Wang L, Wang K, Wang Y. Association between obesity and asthma in US adults: Findings from the 2012 National Health Interview Survey. American Society for Nutrition. Community, Public Health and Global Nutrition session. Experimental Biology 2014. April 26-60. San Diego, California, USA.
Wang L, Southerland J, Slawson D, Mozen D. The role of peer eating and physical activity in the prevalence of obesity among Appalachia children. The 31st Annual Scientific Meeting of The Obesity Society- Obesity Week 2013. Atlanta, Georgia. November 11-16, 2013.
Wang L, Alamian A. Child's sleep problems and risk of childhood overweight: A longitudinal study. (2013) Poster presented at the Society for Epidemiologic Research, Boston, Massachusetts.
Wang L, Alamian A, Southerland J, Wang KS, Anderson JL, Stevens M. "Cesarean section associated with increased risk for overweight and obesity in grade six children". Epidemiology and Prevention/Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism 2013 Scientific Sessions.
Wang L, Wu T, Anderson JL, Dalton W, Liu X. Breastfeeding and the development of childhood obesity from grades 1 through 6. Oral presenter at the 139th American Public Health Association (APHA) national conference Obesity and Nutrition Session of Epidemiology Section in Washington DC, 2011.
Wang L, Wu T. Effects of maternal depression on the development of childhood obesity. Greg Alexander Outstanding student paper session: Maternal and Child Health Research and Implications. Oral presenter at the 2010 Greg Alexander Outstanding Students Papers Session for the 138th American Public Health Association (APHA) national conference in Denver, 2010.
Wang L, Wu T, Anderson JL, Florence LE. Prevalence and Risk Factors of Maternal Depression during the First Three Years of Child-Rearing. Greg Alexander Outstanding student paper session: Maternal and Child Health Research and Implications. Oral presenter at the 2009 Greg Alexander Outstanding Students Papers Session for the 137th American Public Health Association (APHA) national conference in Philadelphia, 2009.
Selected Research Grants
NIH/NICHD (1 U54 HD070725-01, $2.1 million)
Subcontract of SUNY Buffalo for U54 center P3 grant
Title: Multilevel systems-oriented childhood obesity study in China
Role: PI (ongoing)
Tennessee Department of Health
Title: Population health improvement plan
Role: Co-I (ongoing)
ETSU Research Development Committee Major Grant
Title: Influence of healthcare setting on obesity risk among U.S. children
Role: PI (ongoing)
NIH Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities (R01)
Title: College students as facilitators to reduce adolescent obesity disparity
Role: Co-I (completed)
ETSU Research Development Committee
Title: Age differences in the association of behavioral/social factors with stroke
Role: PI (completed)
ETSU Research Development Committee
Title: The impact of maternal prenatal smoking on childhood obesity
Role: PI (completed)
ETSU Research Development Committee
Title: Sleep problems and overweight among American youth
Role: Co-I (completed)
The article "Wang L et al. The Impact of Maternal Prenatal Smoking on the Development of Childhood Overweight in School -aged Children. Pediatric Obesity. 2013; 8(3):178-188." was reported in www.MDLinx.com, ASPPH Friday Letter, East Tennessean, and related news was featured on the first page of Johnson City Press.
East Tennessee Identifies Parental Education as Predictor of Adolescent Obesity in Appalachia
http://www.aspph.org/east-tennessee-identifies-parental-education-as-predictor-of-adolescent-obesity-in-appalachia/; The cover page of ETSU Accent, the faculty/staff newsletter, Volume 63, Number 8, January 29, 2015.
ETSU Accent, the faculty/staff newsletter, Volume 63, Number 10, March 30, 2015. "Dr. Liang Wang nominated for 'Mentor of the Year'". Available at http://www.etsu.edu/news/2015/03_mar/wang_mentor_nomination.aspx
Research article "Wang L. et al. Independent and joint effects of prenatal maternal smoking and maternal exposure to secondhand smoke on the development of adolescent obesity: A longitudinal study" was featured at the home page of ETSU website, two local news stations, the cover page of ETSU Accents, and ASPPH Friday Letter.
Interview (including mentoring story) between a Doctoral student and Dr. Liang Wang (Advisor) was featured on the Illuminated Magazine, the Fall issue of 2014.
Basketball, table tennis, Chinese chess.