- Faculty and Staff
- News and Events
- Lecture Series
- Research and Centers
- Contact Us
Imagine that you are one of the first pioneers to enter Tennessee.
- How kind of shelter would you build?
- What kind of sanitation would you need?
- How would you cook, how would you protect your food, and how would you get clean water?
- What else would you do to protect and promote your health?
The "Pioneer Experience" is a Short-term Knowledge, Immersion-Learning, and Leadership Skills (SKILLS) experience that challenges the participants to work together to not only answer these questions, but put their plans into action. Students in a classroom may use videos, textbooks or lectures to KNOW how the early settlers lived, but during the "Pioneer Experience," participants will actually DO what the early settlers did.
What do participants say about the experience?
- "I enjoyed the teamwork and the sense of accomplishment that I obtained."
- "This project introduced me to a field of education that I have wanted to do my entire life. . . I realize that this is the program I want to go into."
- "It was fantastic and a lot of fun. Although it was hard work, I feel as if it really allowed me to be able to connect what we learned in class to real life."
- "I loved the teamwork that came about during the building process. It really changed my perspective on the pioneers. . ."
- "10/10 - would recommend to a friend"
- "Thanks so much for having us. It was a truly awesome experience."