Upon clicking a course from your My ETSU Courses Widget you will be taken to your Course Home. The Course Homepage is where you will access all the information and content of your course. It contains navigation bars and widgets that you can use to create and edit your course. It will also allow you to determine specific settings for your course using Edit Course.
Navigation Bars – Give you access to the
various tools in D2L.
Widgets – Widgets are other tools that you can set one your Course Homepage. They provide other relevant information for your course such as News, Updates, and Events.
The link to Edit Course can be located on the top navigation bar at the bottom right, beside the link to Logout of D2L. You will use Edit Course to make administrative changes to your courses.
Edit Course is broken down into three sections for editing your course; general, tools, and administration.
Course Offering Information
Under Course Offering Information you will be able to edit the course offering name or code, change the colors used for the course, change the location where files are stored, change the start and end date to the course, and set the course to active or inactive.
The Availability dates will be pulled from the Banner Student Information System but you may choose to set your own dates. Students will not be able to see the courses before the start date or after the end date that is specified here. You can also set the course to Inactive to not allow students to see the course should you want to make updates to the class in the middle of the semester.
You can also change the highlight colors of widgets and navigation bars by clicking the colored boxes and choosing different colors for Dark, Light, and Soft Colors. To reset to default colors you can select the arrow beside each option should you not like what you have choosen.
Change the links to tools that appear on your Courses NavBars or change the colors and background image.
To Change the Default NavBar for your Course:
1. Choose the area of the NavBar you wish to edit. You can either click the tab at the top or click on the dark grey image of the area you wish to edit.
2. Choose an Inactive Link you wish to add to your Active Links in the NavBar or Choose which Active Link you wish to remove from your NavBars.
3. Click the name of the Link you wish to add and then select the arrow pointing to the right to add an inactive link or select the arrow to the left to remove an active link from your course NavBar.
4. To reorder Active Links, select the Link and click the Up or Down arrows to redo the order. The Link at the top appears to the far left and the link at the bottom of the list appears to the far right.
5. When finished be sure to Save your changes by clicking the Save button at the bottom of the page.
The Following Tools are available in D2L but are not on the NavBar by default:
Articles, Blog, Competencies, Chat, Course Feedback, Course Name, FAQ, Glossary, LiveRoom, News, Rubrics, Self Assessments, and Surveys.
Import / Export / Copy Components
Allows you to move course components, such as quizzes, news items, course content, discussion forums, ect, from one course to another org unit. You can also import course components from a file or export course components to a zip file.
To Copy Components from another Org Unit
1. Select the first option Copy Components from another Org Unit
2. Choose the course you want to copy components from in the
drop down menu called Existing Offerings. A list of all the
components of the course will appear. Select what components
you want to copy or select Copy all to copy over the entire course
3. Once you have selected what components to copy select next and you will see the Confirm Components screen.
4. Select Next and you will see the components begin copying, once they are finished you will be notified and can select Done at the bottom of the page. Depending on the amount of information you are copying it may take a little time.
This is where you will be able to add or delete users from your course. Students who are registered for your course will be automatically enrolled through the Banner Student Information System but you may choose to add other users as Instructor, Teaching Assistant, Grader, or even another student to your course. This can also be done through the Classlist tool.
To add a participant to your course
2. Type the username or any part of the name you know in the search field and choose Search.
3. Place a check next to the name of the user you wish to enroll.
4. Choose the role from the drop down list.
5. Click Enroll to add the user to the Classlist
To remove a participant from your course
1. Locate the name of the user you wish to remove.
2. Place a check next to their name.
3. Click the Unenroll button.