Lorton Data Functions
Mail Piece Requirements:• A minimum of 200 pieces or 50 lbs. of identical mail is required. • All mail must be destined for a U.S. address. No foreign mail may be sent in a standard mailing. • The pieces must be of identical size, weight and content, no exceptions made. • Each piece must weigh less than 16 oz. • The mailing piece must be printed or duplicated material. • Standard mail cannot contain bills, statements, or personal messages. • Mail pieces must be rectangle in shape. The address must be placed parallel to the longer side of the mailing piece.
• Always use your department name:East Tennessee State University Postal Services BOX 12345 Johnson City, TN 37614
• Use pre-printed mailing indicia. (Ours is 194)
• Mailing list data files must be in Excel or Access database format. No other formats will be accepted. If the mailing list is not provided in a format that we can use, it will be returned to you for correction.
• When creating a database for your mailing list, please follow the structure in the example below.
Sample mailing list format:
Submittal of Standard Mail Project:
• For additional information on submitting requests, Contact the ETSU Postal Services office at Postal@etsu.edu
Time Frames - Scheduling of Standard Mail Project:
• Schedule your project at least five days in advance, and allow 6 to 14 days for the USPS to deliver.
• Typical turnaround time on your mailing pieces will be 24 hours, depending on the size of your mailing job. On large complicated mailings, please call ahead for a turnaround time.
USPS Handling of Standard Mail:
• The USPS will recycle all undeliverable mail.
• The USPS can and will open standard mail pieces for content inspection.