Creating a spending plan will help you get a better idea of how much money you spend and how much you may have left to repay a loan in the future. You can use this budget plan to develop a spending plan while you're attending school. Remember to be realistic about your expenses, spend any balance left from loans responsibly on educational expenses only, and update your spending plan periodically.
What if I'm about to graduate, or I have expenses in addition to my education?
If you are approaching graduation, if you are enrolled in a graduate or professional program, or if you are a student with existing obligations (children, mortgage, etc.), take a look at our monthly spending plan. This spending plan accommodates many different expenses you may not have needed to consider for your budget plan. Creating a monthly spending plan will also prepare you to approach loan repayment comfortably.
What if I don't have enough money to meet my needs?
- Do you have time to work, or work a few more hours in your current job?
- Use your campus meal plan before going out with friends.
- If you live off campus, consider cooking at home instead of dining out.
- Be a thrifty shopper by collecting coupons or buying store brands.
- Enjoy free or low cost events on campus or in your community.
- Try carpooling to work or school.
- If you live on campus, consider a shared room instead of a private one, a less expensive dorm, or a change in your meal plan option.
- Be aware of the little things you spend your money on like trips to the vending machine, daily lattes, music downloads, or out-of-network texting. These expenses can add up a lot faster than you think!