The Excellence in Teaching Award for Graduate Teacher Assistants & Associates
Click here for a list of recipients
- To encourage and recognize excellence in teaching by graduate teaching assistants and graduate teaching associates
- Two awards may be given out each year: one at the teaching assistant level and another at the teaching associate level.
- The awards consist of a plaque and a monetary honorarium of $250 each.
- Students must be currently enrolled graduate teaching assistants or teaching associates OR have taught once during the past three semesters to be eligible.
- Moreover, graduate teaching associates must have been listed as the instructor of record.
- Students may only receive each award once during their academic tenure at ETSU.
- The student is nominated by an ETSU graduate faculty member using the nomination form. Download the form here.
- Although individual departments may wish to develop their own nomination procedures, all nominations for the award must be routed through and approved by the department chair.
- Each department may nominate only one teaching assistant and one teaching associate.
- A letter of nomination from the Graduate Coordinator that includes a description of teaching responsibilities is required, and it must be cosigned by the Department Chair.
- All nominees are required to submit a teaching portfolio that includes the following information:
- A teaching statement written by the student
- Evaluative feedback (i.e., SAI summaries, faculty and student evaluations, etc.)
- Up to 5 additional letters of support (e.g., undergraduate students, fellow graduate students, faculty supervisors, staff members, etc.)
- Graduate Teaching Associates who are instructors of record are also required to submit the following instructional materials:
- Sample Exams
- D2L site access (if applicable)
- Graduate Teaching Assistants may also include samples of exams and/or quizzes that they have written, if that is part of the job requirements.
- The application deadline is March 1st each year.
- Decisions should be reached by the first week of April.
- A committee of one Graduate School dean, two Graduate Council members, and two regular, full-time tenured or tenure-track faculty members with graduate status will evaluate the applications.
- Grant recipients will be notified through a letter from the School of Graduate Studies. Notification will occur by the beginning of April. Copies of the letter will be sent to their advisory committee chair and their departmental chair. An award ceremony will be held later in April to recognize award recipients.
List of Excellence in Teaching Award Recipients