Outstanding Thesis, Dissertation, and Capstone Awards
- To recognize outstanding graduate students for their achievements
- To increase the profile of graduate education at ETSU
- To help promote excellence in graduate research
Five types of awards are given out each year:
- Dissertation award - 1 per year
- Thesis awards - up to 3 per year
Capstone Project award - 1 per year
- Arts and Humanities - 1 award
- Education and Social Sciences - 1 award
- Computer Science, Mathematics, Technology and the Sciences - 1 award
Individual plaques as well as a monetary award of $250.00 (as funds allow) for each award recipient will be presented at an annual awards ceremony in April sponsored by the School of Graduate Studies. One large plaque for each type of award will be on display in the School of Graduate Studies lobby.
- Students must be nominated in writing by an ETSU graduate faculty member.
- Thesis or dissertations must be approved by the students advisory committee, have been successfully defended, and received final approval from the Graduate School.
- Capstone/culminating project write-ups (non-thesis) must have received final approval from the applicant's adviser or department, and a copy must be submitted with the nomination.
- Nominees must be in good academic standing (have a minimum GPA of 3.0) with expected graduation in the current academic year or have graduated within the previous 12 months.
- Students nominated in a previous year are not eligible for re-nomination.
Applications will be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies.
- The student is nominated in writing by an ETSU graduate faculty member using the nomination form and including a letter supporting the nomination.
- Attach a copy of the student's curriculum vitae (3 pages max).
(Note: Theses and dissertations have a CV included, although this is usually very brief. The CV supplied with the nomination can be up to 3 pages in length.)
- Send the nomination form and attached CV to the following address:
School of Graduate Studies
Attention: Dr. Karin Bartoszuk, Associate Dean
ETSU Box 70720
Johnson City, TN 37614
- Nominations are due by March 1st each year.
Evaluation of Nominees
- Nominations will be reviewed by committee (1 per award category or sub-category). Each committee will be made up of ETSU graduate faculty members with expertise in the general categories, and they will be chaired by a member of the ETSU graduate council.
- The dean or assistant dean of the School of Graduate Studies who is responsible for the approval of ETD's will also attend each meeting. Each committee has the right to decline choosing an award recipient for any given year depending upon the quality of the nomination pool.
- Grant recipients will be notified through a letter from the School of Graduate Studies. Notification will occur by the beginning of April. Copies of the letter will be sent to their advisory committee chair and their departmental chair. An award ceremony will be held later in April to recognize award recipients.
List of Outstanding Thesis, Dissertation, and Capstone Award Recipients