Search Options ETSU Faculty/Staff
ETSU Students
ETSU People Search
Reinstatement to F-1 Status

Reinstatement to F-1 Status

If you failed to maintain lawful F-1 status (enrolled part time without authorization, worked without authorization, failed to renew I-20, etc.), you may apply for reinstatement to lawful status. Application for reinstatement procedures are as follows:

  1. Provide The Office of International Programs and Services with financial documents so that we can issue you a new form I-20
  2. Complete form I-539.
  3. Provide letter of explanation, with documentation, about the reasons for falling out of status. Students who have worked illegally cannot be reinstated.
  4. Please see the following Checklist.

This application package is mailed to the USCIS Office in Vermont for adjudication. If an immigration officer reinstates you, you are again under lawful F-1 status. If not, you will be given a certain amount of time to leave the United States.

If you are denied reinstatement in the United States, you can obtain a new I-20, travel outside the United States, apply for a student visa, if necessary, and reenter in legal F-1 status. If this is your situation, please make sure to meet with the International Student Advisor.

direct edit