skip to main content columnskip to left navigation

Search Options
ETSU Faculty/Staff
ETSU Students

ETSU People Search

International Programs

East Tennessee State University

Transferring to ETSU

Transferring to ETSU

If you plan to transfer to ETSU from another institution in the United States, you will need to follow transfer procedures.

Transfer Procedures

To transfer schools, an F-1 student must first notify the school he or she is attending of the intent to transfer then obtain a Form I-20, issued in accordance with the provisions of 8CFR 214.3 (k), from the school to which he or she intends to transfer. The transfer will be effected only if the F-1 student completes the Student Certification portion of the Form I-20 and returns the form to a designated school official on campus within 15 days of beginning attendance at the new school.

Submit to the office of International Programs and Services:

  • Financial documentation that indicates you will have sufficient funds to cover your first year of study at ETSU.
  • Transfer form completed and signed by your current International Student Advisor. You also need to request that your current school releases your SEVIS records to us.

Please note: you MUST be in lawful F-1 status to be eligible for transfer.

Once we receive the above documents, we will issue you the form I-20 and instruct you on how to proceed to make your transfer effective.

A student who is maintaining status may transfer to another Service approved school by following the notification procedure prescribed in paragraph (f)(8)(ii) of this section.

However, an F-1 student is not permitted to remain in the United States when transferring between schools or programs unless the student will begin classes at the transfer school or program within 5 months of transferring out of the current school or within 5 months of the program completion date on his or her current Form I-20, whichever is earlier.

In the case of an F-1 student authorized to engage in post-completion optional practical training (OPT), the student must be able to resume classes within 5 months of transferring out of the school that recommended OPT or the date the OPT authorization ends, whichever is earlier.

An F-1 student who was not pursuing a full course of study at the school he or she was last authorized to attend is ineligible for school transfer and must apply for reinstatement under the provisions of paragraph (f)(16) of this section, or may depart the country and return as an initial entry in a new F-1 nonimmigrant status.

J-1 students and scholars must contact International Programs & Services for guidance.

icon for left menu icon for right menu