The Midway Honors Scholars (MHS) program, limited in size and admission, is competitive. Twenty funded scholars and two unfunded alternates are selected each year for fall enrollment. To be considered for admission, prospective scholars must have a college GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale and an earned associate degree or at least 30 credit hours from a community college or 4-year college/university.
Notes on Eligibility: Currently enrolled ETSU students, non-degree seeking students, and second baccalaureate degree students are not eligible for admission to this program. If you are graduating from high school in spring 2018 with dual-enrollment credit (even an associate degree), ETSU will classify you as an incoming freshman and you are not eligible for the MHS program. Your first semester at ETSU must be fall 2018 to be eligible to apply.
The Application Deadline is March 1, 2018 by 4:30 pm.
Application includes: online application, transcript, and three references
The first step in becoming a Midway Scholar is to apply to ETSU for fall 2018 admission (http://www.etsu.edu/admissions/) and provide an official copy of your transcript to the Admissions Office. You will also have to send an unofficial copy of your transcript to the Midway Program.
Once you have done that, gather the information you need. This is important as the application must be submitted as one document. You will need:
- Your basic personal and academic information.
- Information for the online resume form:
- Scholarstic Honors
- School-related extracurricular activities, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements.
- Community volunteer service, including years involved, offices held, roles, and achievements.
- Other activities (sports, arts, etc.)
- Work experience
- Travel experiences
- A formal Cover Letter to the University Honors Scholars Review Committee that includes why you are interested in becoming an ETSU University Honors Scholar, relevant skills and knowledge that make you an exceptional candidate for this program, how you will benefit from the program, and how you will contribute to the program.
- Your one-page Application Essay in response to one of the prompts below. The reviewers
will be looking for the following in your essay: originality and creativity; strong
point or argument; evidence of care, effort and clarity; essay organization, grammar,
structure and language.
- Discuss a milestone in your life—an event, challenge, success, or failure—that changed the way you saw yourself, your community, or your culture. Explain how this milestone affected you and what you learned from the experience.
- Discuss an aspect of yourself—your background, identity, interest, talent, etc.—that is so important to you, you feel your application would be incomplete without it.
- Contact information (email) for your three academic references. We recommend contacting your references ahead of time to ensure that they are willing and able to provide a reference. Once you apply, a reference form will automatically be sent to your references by the email addresses you provide. All three of your references will have to complete this form and return it to us before the application deadline for your application to be considered complete.For this reason, be sure to submit your completed application well in advance of the March 1st deadline.
After you complete the onlline form, you must also request that a copy of your community college or university transcripts with Fall 2017 grades be sent to MHScholars@etsu.edu or faxed to 423-439-7880.