- ETSU Job Opportunities
- Compensation & Classification
- Employee Relations
- Training & Development
- ETSU Retirees Association
- Policies & Procedures
- Documents & Forms
- Contact Us
Title Code: 7427
Public Safety Officer 2
Expectations for All Employees
East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the university's core values:
PEOPLE come first, are treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed in supervising general police work, investigating crimes and accidents; protecting property, facilities, citizens, staff and students by law enforcement; preventing, controlling and extinguishing fires; performing as part of a fire fighting team; and performing other related duties as assigned.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Patrols and/or supervises others patrolling the campus by motor vehicle to maintain safe conditions.
Patrols and/or supervises others patrolling the campus by foot performing building security checks.
Investigates and/or supervises others investigating suspected crimes, reports findings, and arrests suspected individuals.
Prevents, controls and extinguishes fires.
Performs as part of a fire fighting team.
Directs and controls traffic.
Issues citations for traffic and parking violations.
Escorts students, staff and visitors.
Testifies in court or legal proceedings.
Responds to medical emergencies and performs first aid.
Keeps records and makes reports.
Supervises the operation and maintenance of law enforcement equipment.
Participates in crime prevention programs.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Abilities
Knowledge of the court system and presentation of evidence in court proceedings.
Knowledge of the campus policies, city, county and state laws.
Knowledge of modern police practices and methods used in crime investigations and the identification and presentation of physical evidence.
Knowledge of modern fire suppression and fire prevention methods.
Knowledge of the geographic area of the campus.
Knowledge of the principles and practices of security supervision.
Knowledge of campus and local area provisions for emergency and fire situations.
Ability to ascertain facts through personal contact and observation and to determine proper course of action.
Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations and to determine proper course of action.
Meets the requirements of a Certified Police Officer, per TCA 38-8-107, including completion of a law enforcement academy curriculum approved by the Tennessee Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission.
Meets the requirements of a Certified Fire Fighter Level 1, per the National Fire Protection Association, including completion of a fire fighter training course approved by the National Fire Protection Association.
Meets the requirements of TCA 38-8-106, Qualifications of Police Officers:
(1) Be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
(2) Be a citizen of the United States;
(3) Be a high school graduate or possess equivalency;
(4) Not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substances;
(5) Not have been released or discharged under any other than honorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States;
(6) Have his fingerprints on file with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation;
(7) Have passed a physical examination by a licensed physician;
(8) Have a good moral character as determined by a thorough investigation conducted by the employing agency; and
(9) Be free of all apparent mental disorders as described in the Diagnostic and Statistical manual of Mental Disorders, Third Edition (DSM-III) of the American Psychiatric Association. Applicants must be certified as meeting these criteria by a qualified professional in the psychiatric or psychological fields.
Two years experience in campus law enforcement required.
Possess a valid Tennessee operator license as issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety.
Date Skill Eval
7/30/93 8 533234430
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.