PPP-30 Process for Title VI Filing Internal Complaints
PPP-30 Process for Title VI Filing Internal Complaints pdf
Discrimination/Harassment Complaint Form pdf
The purpose of this procedure is to establish the time frame and process for filing internal complaints under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, and national origin in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance. 42 U.S.C. § 2000d. It is the intent of the Tennessee Board of Regents that the institutions under its jurisdiction shall fully comply with Title VI and Regulations issued pursuant thereto.
- Any current or former student, applicant for employment, or current or former employee or any contractor or vendor who believes he or she has been subjected to discrimination or harassment based on race, color or national origin at an institution or who believes that he/she has observed discrimination or harassment based on race, color or national origin taking place may submit a Title VI complaint.
- Complaints must be brought within 180 days of the last incident of discrimination or harassment.
- Complaints brought after that time period will not be pursued absent extraordinary circumstances.
- The determination of whether the complaint was timely or whether extraordinary circumstances exist to extend the complaint period must be made in conjunction with Legal Counsel.
- Complaints must be filed with the Title VI Coordinator in the Office of Equity & Diversity. The complaint will be handled by the Title VI Coordinator or their designee.
Complaints brought under Title VI will be handled in accordance with the procedures for investigating complaints set forth in ETSU’s PPP-80.
Alternative Complaint Procedures
An aggrieved individual may also file a Title VI complaint with the Tennessee Human Rights Commission or the Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights (OCR).
Mary V. Jordan
Special Assistant to
the President for Equity and Diversity/Affirmative Action Director
206 Burgin E. Dossett Hall
423-439-4211 / Fax 423-439-4004