Title Code: 6015
AIR CONDITIONING/HEATING MECHANIC 1
Skill Level: 6
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the university's core values:
PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
Work performed in the installation, repair, and maintenance of air conditioning and heating units, equipment, and parts.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Essential functions for this position are on file in the Office of Human Resources for your information.)
- Reads specifications and blueprints in performance of work
- Inspects air conditioning and heating equipment regularly
- Repairs and/or replaces water pumps, cooling towers, hot water tanks, air pumps, heat exchangers, steam lines, traps and valves, and pneumatic controls such as thermostats, transmitters, valves, pistons, etc.
- Installs and/or works closely with manufacturing representative in installing new equipment
- Measures tolerances and clearances and adjusts to required specifications
- Changes oil and filters and greases and lubricates systems
- All incumbents are expected to perform these functions except for those qualifying under the Americans with Disabilities Act for a reasonable accommodation.
- These functions may vary by institution.
- Incumbents may provide backup to various functions within the unit.
- Performs other work as assigned.
Employees work under general supervision. Advice and guidance are available from the supervisor as needed for complex issues or exceptions to policy.
- Completion of standard apprenticeship in air conditioning and heating
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND WORKER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of the materials, methods, and principles used in the performance of air conditioning and heating maintenance and repair
- Knowledge of the use, care, and maintenance of required tools and equipment both specialized and common
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Ability to use and operate required tools and equipment
- Ability to read and follow specifications and blueprints
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS/SPECIAL CONDITIONS
Specific working conditions, physical demands and special conditions relative to this position are on file in the Office of Human Resources for your information.
Date Skill Evaluation
5/2004 6 632023213
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.