|Title Code: 6025|
AIR CONDITIONING/HEATING MECHANIC 3
Skill Level: 8
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the university's core values:
PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
Work performed in maintaining air conditioning systems
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Essential functions for this position are on file in the Office of Human Resources for your information.)
- Disassembles and reassembles compressors and components
- Repairs and/or replaces parts as necessary
- Troubleshoots and repairs electrical controls for entire system
- Adjusts, calibrates or repairs and replaces control systems
- Performs periodic maintenance and sets up preventive maintenance schedule
- Uses specialized test equipment, power tools, precision measuring tools, plumber's tools, and common hand tools
- Orders parts and supplies
- Drives truck
- Maintains small boiler systems and systems associated with big boilers in Steam Plant
- All incumbents are expected to perform these functions except for those qualifying under the Americans with Disabilities Act for a reasonable accommodation.
- These functions may vary by institution.
- Incumbents may provide backup to various functions within the unit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Employees work under general supervision. Advice and guidance are available from the supervisor as needed for complex issues or exceptions to policy.
High school diploma or GED, vocational certificate in commercial air conditioning mechanics plus one year on-the-job training, or completed apprenticeship in refrigeration or two and one half years experience in air conditioning and heating or similar experience with knowledge of electrical work. Preferred: experience in working with centrifugal air conditioning systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND WORKER CHARACTERISTICS
- Ability to maintain and repair centrifugal and reciprocating chillers and cooling devices
- Ability to perceive small differences in objects and spatial relationships
- Willingness to work until job demands are met
- Ability to attend to details
- Ability to use and maintain electrical, mechanical and pneumatic equipment
- Skill in making precise manipulations with simple hand tools
- Ability to make precise positioning movements where strength and speed are minimum
- Ability to interpret blueprints and drawings
- Ability to plan and organize one's own work
- Ability to work with others
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS/SPECIAL CONDITIONS
Specific working conditions, physical demands and special conditions relative to this position are on file in the Office of Human Resources for your information.
Date Skill Evaluation
5/2004 8 732033214
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.