FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in transporting students to and from various places, such as athletic events
or field trips; performing normal routine maintenance; and performing related
work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Drives bus to and from athletic events, field trips, other off-campus college facilities, etc., picking up and delivering students and other college related people.
- Makes simple road repairs and reports other repairs necessary for the proper operation of the vehicle.
- Performs routine repetitive maintenance to a variety of vehicles and equipment such as changing oil and filters, washing exterior, cleaning interior, and checking tires.
- Drives bus to and fills bus with gasoline.
- Keeps records and makes reports.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of practices used in the operation of a bus.
- Knowledge of state and local traffic regulations.
- Knowledge of care and use of motor vehicles and equipment.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Ability to operate a bus efficiently and safely.
- Ability to carry out simple written and oral instructions.
- Ability to perform manual labor.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with the public and other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Successful completion of the eighth
grade. Must possess a valid Tennessee chauffeur's license. Must be under
sixty years of age.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
10/1/80 4 333023113