FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in a variety of skilled tasks as they relate to building maintenance, construction,
and erecting of forms and the cutting and assembling of materials and performing
related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Erects and maintains new classrooms, office spaces, book shelves, etc.
- Builds rough wooden structures such as concrete forms, scaffolds, tunnels, and other supports.
- Installs doors, windows, and screens in designated positions in building framework.
- Does various types of trim work, roofing, tiling, and other minor repairs to building.
- Examines specifications to determine dimensions of structure.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the tools and equipment used in carpentry work.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of carpentry.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to read and follow specifications and/or blueprints.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in the use of materials.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Completion of standard apprenticeship
in the carpenter trade.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
10/1/80 5 533013113