FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Performs a variety
of complex tasks involving writing,
scheduling, processing, and overseeing publishing routines for a number of publications. Performs related work
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Edit and rewrite copy for articles which appear in a variety of publications.
- Design and prepare publications for printing, mark copy for typesetting, select photographs and do paste-up.
- Consult with departmental representative on a client, editor or designer basis.
- Prepare camera ready copy for university alumni quarterly publication.
- Research or interview and write original articles for publication.
- Produce original art to illustrate publications, generating the concept
as well as graphically representing the
- Select and adapt available art to illustrate publications.
- Typeset and proofread articles to be printed.
- Supervise and instruct student workers.
- Perform general office duties.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of good editorial and journalistic practices and principles.
- Knowledge of business English and arithmetic.
- Knowledge of efficient office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Knowledge of organizational rules, regulations, procedures, and functions.
- Ability to demonstrate facility with languages and vocabulary.
- Ability to express ideas, feelings, and personal interpretation by means of the written word.
- Ability to develop a creative and imaginative approach to publication work.
- Ability to understand and relate to people in an effective manner.
- Ability to read analytically.
- Ability to type accurately from plain copy and rough draft.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However,
applicants not possessing these qualifications should apply if they believe their training and experience will
enable them to perform the work successfully. Graduation from an accredited 4-year college or university with a
B.S. degree in either Journalism, English, Mass Communications or a related field.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
4/1/82 6 613021341