Title Code: 71950
FIRE AND SAFETY TECHNICIAN
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the university's core values:
first, are treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
Employees in this class are under general
supervision. Work performed in maintaining a safe environment at the University.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Inspects buildings for flammable liquids, blocked exits and other fire hazards; ensures that all problems discovered are corrected.
- Checks all fire extinguishers, sprinklers, and fire alarms to ensure they are operating properly.
- Inspects buildings, grounds, and equipment for violations of safety codes and standards.
- Provides technical information and recommendations to Departments on how to eliminate fire and safety hazards.
- Serves as both formal and informal means of reporting unsafe conditions.
- Schedules and conducts fire drills for occupied University buildings.
- Assists municipal fire department inspectors in locating buildings and equipment.
- Assists in the development of emergency preparedness procedures and ongoing training requirements associated with the program.
- Assists with the coordination of the tabletop exercises associated with emergency preparedness.
- Coordinates the fire watch for all Memorial Center events.
- Works with outside agencies.
- Trains and supervises student workers.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of fire codes.
- Knowledge of state and federal safety regulations.
- Knowledge of campus and local area provisions for emergency and fire situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations and to determine proper course of action.
Six months of college level coursework in a technical field; one year of safety experience, or an equivalent combination of related education and experience required; and meets the requirements of a Certified Fire Fighter Level 1, or the equivalent fire safety certification.
4/24/08 9 634032333
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.