HEAVY EQUIPMENT LEAD OPERATOR
FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in supervising workers of lower classifications, operating heavy equipment
such as road graders, bulldozers, tractorvators, backhoes, and trucks,
and performing related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Assigns, instructs and supervises employees involved in maintenance tasks.
- Performs such work as ditching, grading roads, and concrete finishing.
- Inspects the equipment for mechanical problems and sees that these problems are corrected.
- Operates truck as needed.
- Performs work of a semi-skilled or unskilled nature when necessary.
- Operates a bulldozer to move dirt and other material.
- Works on road construction projects.
- Operates a backhoe, tractorvator, or road grader in construction and maintenance or roads and parking lots.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the methods and principles of supervision.
- Knowledge of practices used in the operation of assigned heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of State, City and campus traffic regulations.
- Knowledge of safety precautions and maintenance of heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of the care and use of motor vehicles.
- Knowledge of the materials and equipment used in general maintenance and construction work.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Ability to operate assigned heavy equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment for extended periods under some unfavorable climactic conditions.
- Ability to instruct and supervise employees of a lower classification.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Successful completion of the eighth
grade. Experience in the operation of assigned heavy equipment. Possession
of a valid Tennessee operator license as issued by the Tennessee Department
4/1/82 6 533023213
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.