Title Code: 5151
LABORATORY ASSISTANT, SENIOR
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the university's core values:
PEOPLE come first, are treated with
dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full potential;
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
Employees in this class are
under general supervision. Work performed in purchasing, preparing and setting
up supplies, materials and equipment for laboratory class and research work;
overseeing safety of students; maintaining departmental budget, and performing
other related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Prepares chemicals and solutions for all teaching laboratory activities.
- Oversees safety of students.
- Maintains and supplies student lockers used within the labs.
- Conducts student check-in/out of labs.
- Conducts light repairs for Chemistry Department, as needed.
- Maintains inventory of chemicals, supplies and equipment in the department.
- Transports chemicals.
- Purchases miscellaneous items for lab.
- Recruits, hires and trains student workers.
- Maintains time card for each student worker.
- Maintains work schedule for each student worker to insure proper stockroom staffing.
- Supervises the stockroom operations.
- Purchases chemicals and supplies for the Chemistry Department.
- Researches best price and availability of supplies.
- Contacts vendors via telephone, fax or e-mail to negotiate price of supplies.
- Orders compressed gases including liquid nitrogen and liquid helium.
- Maintains a physical inventory of cylinders and reconciles differences.
- Assists in replacing and hooking up cylinders.
- Recharges NMR with liquid nitrogen or liquid helium.
- Maintains petty cash reconciliation as needed or on a quarterly basis.
- Oversees the departmental budget.
-Does maintenance coordination for department.
- Prepares Physical Plant repair requests and conducts follow up.
- Coordinates and receives bids on various items in the department.
- Completes work orders to cover bids.
- Performs other work as
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the use and preparation of culture media, chemicals, reagents, etc.
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures, set up and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of various laboratory tools, equipment and materials.
- Knowledge of computers.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles.
- Ability to prepare media, solutions, etc. as directed.
- Ability to follow detailed oral and written instructions carefully and completely.
- Ability to use and operate required laboratory tools and equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public and other employees.
Applicants possessing these
qualifications have a good probability for success in this class. However,
applicants not possessing these qualifications should apply if they believe
their training and experience will enable them to perform the work successfully.
Graduation from a standard high school, college preferred. Experience in
laboratory work involving media preparation and the use of a variety of
laboratory tools and equipment.
12/09/05 5 512022232
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.