LIBRARY ASSISTANT, SENIOR - (GENERAL)
FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in serving library users, maintaining library collection of books, periodicals,
documents, and other materials; exercises supervision over student workers
and employees of a lower classification and/or a specific area of a major
library, and performing other related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Orders and receives books, microfilm, and other library materials, equipment and supplies.
- Trains new employees in technical processing and library procedures.
- Works in media production including cassette duplication, transparencies, video taping live and from television, and making slides.
- Helps users with book selection and reference materials and demonstrates use of automated library information systems and other library equipment.
- Organizes, plans and supervises work assignments for student workers or employees of lower classification.
- Prepares correspondence, reports and develops budget proposals.
- Communicates with other libraries to obtain information and/or materials.
- Collects payments, safeguards monies and maintains related accounting records.
- Performs a variety of duties to maintain reference and circulation materials and services.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge in the areas of library service, including audio-visual services and materials.
- Knowledge of principles and methods of supervision.
- Knowledge of library materials, and library information systems.
- Knowledge of library goals and objectives, policies and procedures.
- Ability to evaluate situations and make decisions.
- Ability to plan work and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to operate automated library information systems and to instruct others in their use.
- Ability to type, proof-read and manage filing and classification systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with the students, the public, and other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Graduation from a standard high
school or the equivalent supplemented by basic course work in Library Science.
Associate degree or higher and experience in related library work preferred.
7/1/91 6 6131213310
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.