Title Code: 7300
Skill Level: 12
FLSA Status: Non-exempt IPEDS: 705
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the university's core values:
PEOPLE come first, are treated with dignity and respect, and are
encouraged to achieve their full potential;
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
Work performed in supervising general police work and personnel; supervising investigative division; investigating criminal and internal investigations; protecting property, facilities, citizens, staff and students by law enforcement; preventing, controlling and extinguishing fires; performing as part of a fire fighting team; and performing other related duties as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Supervises investigative division through supervision of Crime Prevention Specialist and coordination of all criminal and internal investigations.
- Supervises shift Sergeants.
- Supervises the Records Division.
- Provides indirect supervision of patrol officers, parking staff and dispatchers.
- Serves as third ranking officer within the departmental chain of command.
- Performs background investigations for department.
- Performs internal affairs investigations.
- Prepares offense reports.
- Testifies in court or legal proceedings.
- Supervises the development and implementation of crime prevention programs and techniques for the campus community.
- Acts as Evidence Custodian and supervises the collection and preservation of evidence.
- Patrols and/or supervises others patrolling the campus by motor vehicle to maintain safe conditions.
- Patrols and/or supervises others patrolling the campus by foot or bicycle performing building security checks.
- Investigates suspected crimes, reports findings, and arrests suspected individuals.
- Prevents, controls and extinguishes fires.
- Performs as part of a fire fighting team.
- Directs and controls traffic.
- Issues citations for traffic and parking violations.
- Escorts students, staff and visitors.
- Provides security for special events.
- Responds to medical emergencies and performs first aid.
- Keeps records and makes reports.
- Supervises the operation and maintenance of law enforcement equipment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the court system and presentation of evidence in court proceedings.
- Knowledge of the campus policies, city, county and state laws.
- Knowledge of modern police practices and methods used in crime investigations and the identification and presentation of physical evidence.
- Knowledge of the geographic area of campus.
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of security supervision.
- Ability to supervise employees.
- Ability in using word processing software applications and online systems.
- Ability in use of business English.
- Ability to effectively communicate in verbal and written terms.
- Ability in organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks required for own work.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to ascertain facts through personal contact and observation and to determine proper course of action.
- Skill in basic mathematics.
- Ability to work independently.
Meets the requirements of a Certified Police Officer, per TCA 38-8-107, including completion or attendance and completion within one year following employment, of a law enforcement academy curriculum approved by the Tennessee Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission.
Meets the requirements of a Certified Fire Fighter Level 1, per the National Fire Protection Association, including completion or attendance and completion within one year following employment, of a fire fighter training course approved by the National Fire Protection Association.
Meets the requirements of TCA 38-8-106, Qualifications of Police Officers:
(1) Be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
(2) Be a citizen of the United States;
(3) Be a high school graduate or possess equivalency;
(4) Not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substances;
(5) Not have been released or discharged under any other than honorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States;
(6) Have his fingerprints on file with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation;
(7) Have passed a physical examination by a licensed physician;
(8) Have a good moral character as determined by a thorough investigation conducted by the employing agency; and
(9) Be free of all apparent mental disorders as described in the Diagnostic and Statistical manual of Mental Disorders, Third Edition (DSM-III) of the American Psychiatric Association. Applicants must be certified as meeting these criteria by a qualified professional in the psychiatric or psychological fields.
Two years experience in campus law enforcement required. Supervisory experience required.
Possess a valid Tennessee operator license as issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety.
12/2006 12 734234443
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.