MACHINIST LEAD WORKER
FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in supervising and participating in setting up and operating machine tools
and performing related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Receives instructions and ensures that work is started.
- Ensures that necessary materials, supplies, equipment, plans, tools, etc. are available.
- Works with other employees and serves as a lead worker.
- Demonstrates proper work methods.
- Inspects work in progress and upon completion.
- Confers with supervisor concerning problems with work assignments and other personnel.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the equipment, materials, methods, and principles used in machinist work.
- Knowledge of the use, care, and maintenance of required tools and equipment both specialized and common.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of supervision.
- Ability to assign, supervise, and inspect the work of others.
- Ability to use and operate a variety of tools and equipment required in the performance of duties.
- Ability to evaluate situations and make decisions.
- Ability to express ideas clearly, concisely, and convincingly.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Completion of a standard apprenticeship
in machinist work. Experience in a variety of machinist activities.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
10/1/80 7 633023224