Title Code: 4453
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the university's core values:
PEOPLE come first, are treated with
dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full potential;
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
Employees in this class are
under general supervision. Work performed in supervising, training and
evaluating Periodicals Department personnel; developing, analyzing and
monitoring departmental policies, procedures, performance standards and goals,
and performing other related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Supervises, trains and evaluates Periodicals Department personnel.
- Processes time sheets for library workers.
- Participates in interviewing and hiring lower level library workers.
- Oversees daily operations in the Periodicals Department.
- Plans and organizes departmental work objectives, work flow, progress and reports.
- Manages the receipts and processing of current periodicals, indexes, bound volumes, newspapers and microform.
- Monitors incoming periodicals for title changes, discrepancies in expiration dates, label addresses and other discrepancies.
- Claims missing issues online from publishers and subscription agencies and updates claim tracking information.
- Works closely with customer service representatives.
- Collects statistical data and prepares annual reports.
- Maintains responsibility for the working condition of departmental equipment.
- Demonstrates the use of library resources.
- Interprets and enforces university and library policies.
- Works closely with acquisition, cataloging, circulation staff and faculty on various issues relating to the online catalog, document delivery, availability of materials and patron needs.
- Resolves complex patron problems and complaints.
- Provides reference service to library users in the Periodicals Department.
- Serves as back up for Periodicals staff, as needed.
- Performs other work as
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge (extensive) of the Internet, Library system applications (Voyager, cataloging, circulation, online catalog, etc.), university systems (SIS, HRS, FRS), electronic database, etc.
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of library materials and bibliographic tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public and other employees.
- Effective problem resolution and research skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
Applicants possessing these
qualifications have a good probability for success in this class. However,
applicants not possessing these qualifications should apply if they believe
their training and experience will enable them to perform the work successfully.
Bachelor’s degree required; three to five years experience in library functions;
experience in library periodicals, public service, supervision, and computers
12/09/05 8 633322232
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.