FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in compiling and recording personnel data for all employees, and performing
related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Compiles employee data from a variety of sources, such as the application for employment and W-4; codes and enters data onto computer and verifies for completeness and accuracy.
- Advises employees concerning benefits and some personnel policies and procedures.
- Prepares and reviews employee health insurance, retirement and credit union transactions.
- Verifies personnel transactions for completeness and accuracy.
- Keeps up-to-date files on all personnel.
- Audits and corrects time and leave reports.
- Performs general office work, such as filing, typing, etc.
- Performs related work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of personnel administration.
- Knowledge of employee benefits and their administration.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of business English and arithmetic.
- Ability to type accurately at a reasonable rate of speed.
- Ability to maintain up-to-date files.
- Ability to interpret and explain benefits and procedures and policies.
- Ability to evaluate situations and make decisions.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with the public and other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Graduation from a standard high
school, including or supplemented by a course in typing. Some experience
in general office work, including record keeping.
4/18/85 4 412021232
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.