RESEARCH TECHNICIAN 1
FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in assisting in various research projects, performing a variety of technical
duties related to conducting standardized tests or experiments and performing
related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Performs a variety of technical duties of a physical, biological or chemical nature in order to obtain data in support of research oriented activities.
- Operates and sets up laboratory or research oriented equipment to be utilized for specific experiments.
- Collects, tabulates and calculates data through operation of various electronic devices.
- Orders, replaces, and maintains laboratory stock as required.
- Obtains and prepares various substances for microscopic examination.
- Assists in conducting statistical research studies.
- Performs minor repairs on research equipment as required.
- Performs cleanup functions within the laboratory as required.
- Provides technical assistance to designated employees and students.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of basic laboratory methodology.
- Knowledge of business English and arithmetic.
- Ability to perform basic informational research projects.
- Ability to gather and compile data.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public and other employees.
- Familiarity with equipment such as spectrometers, microscopes, scintillation
counters, autoclaves, and sonicators.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Graduation from a standard high
school or possessing a General Education Development Test Certificate including
or supplemented by courses in statistics and mathematics. Completion of
a two year course of instruction in Medical Technology or related area
from an accredited technology program or equivalent experience required.
Two years of laboratory experience desired.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
4/1/82 5 423022222