SENIOR MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN
FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in providing routine medical laboratory testing to obtain data for use
by physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of illness; and performing
other related duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Draws blood and obtains body fluid samples from patients.
- Performs a variety of laboratory tests on blood and other body fluids using chemicals, reagents and precision instruments.
- Prepares cultures to identify disease-causing bacteria.
- Develops data on blood, tissues and body fluids in the human body for use by physicians.
- Maintains compliance with federal and state guidelines governing the operation of clinical labs, controls, verification of results, standards and methods of testing, university safety precautions, etc.
- Prepares and processes laboratory reports and records.
- Requisitions outside testing as needed.
- Maintains laboratory inventory and orders supplies.
- Provides patient and medical resident/student teaching and education.
- Responds as needed to abnormal laboratory reports.
- Cleans and maintains standard laboratory equipment.
- Maintains office files and records and verifies laboratory billing statements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of routine medical laboratory testing procedures and recording of results.
- Knowledge of specific instruments, equipment, chemicals, reagents and solutions.
- Knowledge of slide preparation.
- Ability to use necessary instruments and specific techniques required in routine laboratory testing.
- Ability to properly record results and prepare laboratory reports.
- Ability to properly draw blood and obtain body fluid samples.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, health care professionals
and the public.
Graduation from a standard high school or GED required; associate degree
in Medical Laboratory Technology required from a CAHEA (Committee on Allied
Health Education and Accreditation); Medical Laboratory Certification required
from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP); license required
by the State of Tennessee Health Related Boards; one year of clinical laboratory
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
03/10/94 7 523034421