Title Code: 5821
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the university's core values:
PEOPLE come first, are treated with
dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full potential;
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
Employees in this class are
under general supervision. Work performed in installing, modifying and repairing
electronic and audio-visual equipment; providing technical assistance and
training to system users, and performing other related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Installs, modifies, and repairs electronic and audio-visual equipment in multimedia classroom systems.
- Provides technical assistance and training to system users.
- Inspects and performs operational checks on electronic equipment for suitability to instruction and readiness for installation.
- Installs or assists in the installation of computer hardware and peripheral components.
- Loads standard and instructor-specified software programs into computer.
- Installs or assists in the installation of audio-visual electronic components.
- Loads specified software or control signal instructions.
- Instructs users in the use of equipment, software and manuals.
- Enters commands and observes system functions to verify correct system operation.
- Responds to client inquiries concerning systems operation and diagnoses system hardware, software and operator problems.
- Troubleshoots systems to determine source of problems.
- Performs daily checks of classroom systems, and recommends/performs minor remedial actions to correct problems.
- Provides update, status, and completion information to manager, problem request tracking system and/or users, via voice mail, e-mail or in-person communication.
- Replaces defective or inadequate hardware and software.
- Discusses instructional needs with faculty to determine possible upgrades.
- Refers major hardware problems to service personnel or superior for correction.
- Performs other work as
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of all computer operations system hardware, and related equipment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems.
- Knowledge of workstation configuration and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of data control, data conversion, and help desk functions.
- Ability to solve technical hardware/software problems.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups.
- Ability to listen and comprehend effectively.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently.
Applicants possessing these
qualifications have a good probability for success in this class. However,
applicants not possessing these qualifications should apply if they believe
their training and experience will enable them to perform the work successfully.
Bachelor’s degree required in computer science or related field; or two-four
years experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience; must be
able to regularly move packages or hardware up to 30 pounds, occasionally up to
40 pounds; occasionally required to climb ladders to mount equipment or pull
wires in ceiling or top of 6 foot rack.
Date Skill Eval
9/12/05 13 945032453
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.