VETERANS AFFAIRS CLERK
FOR ALL EMPLOYEES East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based
upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the
university's core values: PEOPLE come first, are
treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full
RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed
in the institution's Veterans Affairs program by working with students
and maintaining proper records and performing related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Advises veterans and other eligible persons on educational and other benefits to which they may be entitled.
- Receives and answers routine correspondence pertaining to veterans and dependents.
- Completes required paperwork including certifications, drop-add forms, withdrawals and authorizations.
- Gathers and compiles data used in reports submitted to the various federal agencies.
- Maintains files on each eligible person at the institution who receives benefits.
- Checks each recipients academic records for compliance with Veteran's Administration rules and regulations.
- Performs other work as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of federal and organizational laws, rules and regulations as they apply to veterans benefits or where the information can be found.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of gathering, assembling, and summarizing data.
- Ability to explain benefits.
- Ability to type accurately.
- Ability to express ideas clearly, concisely and convincingly.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship
with the students, the public and other employees.
Applicants possessing these qualifications have a good probability for
success in this class. However, applicants not possessing these qualifications
should apply if they believe their training and experience will enable
them to perform the work successfully. Some experience in a responsible
clerical capacity involving public contact.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the
types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given
this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties
and responsibilities of any particular position.
3/6/85 4 422021221