ETSU & The Military

 

2014

ETSU receives 5th Consecutive Military Friendly School Award by GI Jobs Magazine

2013

ETSU receives 4th Consecutive Military Friendly School Award by GI Jobs Magazine

Veteran enrollment breaks more than 500 students!

2012

ETSU receives 3rd Consecutive Military Friendly School Award by GI Jobs Magazine

2011

ETSU receives 2d Consecutive Military Friendly School Award by GI Jobs Magazine

2010

ETSU receives First Military Friendly School Award by GI Jobs Magazine

1999

Army ROTC placed First in the Association of the United States Army National Ten Mile Competition

1999

The Veterans Affairs office is designated a "Best Practices Site" by the Department of Veterans Affairs

1997- 
1998

Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) placed third in Third Brigade's (consist of 34 educational institutions) Ranger Challenge

1998

Army ROTC placed Second in the Association of the United States Army National Ten Mile Competition

1989

The National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Mountain Branch is renamed the "Veterans Affairs Medical Center at Mountain Home"

1980

Veterans Upward Bound site established on campus through a grant from the United States Department of Education

1974

Tennessee legislature creates the ETSU's College of Medicine, the only medical school in the state Board of Regents system of higher education; nearly all of the school's primary facilities are located at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center at Mountain Home and medical students work in numerous clinics of the medical center

1964

Military Science approved as a Minor program of academic study

1963

ETSC achieves university status becoming "East Tennessee State University" (ETSU)

1952

Army Reserve Officer Training Corps " Buccaneer Battalion" established on campus (to date, six general officers have arose from approximately 1,200 commissioned officers in the program)

1947

Record enrollment attributed to the "GI Bill"

1946

Two hundred twenty-five veterans enter ETSC on "GI Bill of Rights"

1945

Eighty-five World War II veterans enter ETSC as postwar enrollment climbs to 461

1943

2205th Army Air Forces Air Base Unit arrives on campus and stays until mid-1944 

State Teachers College renamed "East Tennessee State College" (ETSC)

1941

Ten percent enrollment drop due to World War II military enlistments

1930

East Tennessee State Teachers College renamed "State Teachers College"

1925

East Tennessee State Normal School renamed "East Tennessee State Teachers College"

1925

East Tennessee State Normal School renamed "East Tennessee State Teachers College"

1918

World War I Student Army Training Corps established on campus

1911

"East Tennessee State Normal School" opens in Johnson City 

On October 10, 1911, the Tennessee state flag was unfurled for the first time; Company F of the Tennessee National Guard raised the state's new symbol on the campus of East Tennessee State Normal School; Colonel LeRoy Reeves, a native and resident of Johnson City, designed the flag that was approved by the state legislature in 1905

1901

An act by Congress created the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers - Mountain Branch adjacent to the area now the university campus; the facility initially provided for accommodations for up to 2,500 and was totally self-sufficient



Sources: In part, ETSU Today, Fall 1999, Glimpses of Johnson City, Tennessee, December 1, 1994, & personal interviews