Policy for the Rates of Pay for Part-Time Instruction
Faculty Compensation During Summer Session and Inter-Sessions
Outside Employment and Extra Compensation
Policy on Uncompensated Adjunct Faculty
Effective 10/13/11, policy changes will appear on the webpage cited
ETSU’s Winter Session is under pilot in the 2011-12 academic year and inclusion in policy will be addressed.
04/18/90; TBR Meetings: March 4, 1977; March 17, 1989; March 16, 1990; October 2, 1998; Effective 03/06, policy changes will appear on the webpage cited
In all cases of outside employment not covered by this document, the President of the University shall be notified of employment in accordance with Board of Regents Policy No. 5:01:05:00, "Policy on Outside Employment."
09/08/80; Effective 03/06, policy changes will appear on the webpage cited
04/01/87; 05/10/01; Effective 03/06, policy changes will appear on the webpage cited
Adjunct appointments are normally made for two academic years and are renewable upon review at the end of the appointed term.
Adjunct faculty appointments are made by the president of the University upon the recommendation of the department chair and academic dean, and the endorsement of the appropriate vice president.
1. The academic chair initiates the appointment by completion of the Uncompensated Adjunct Faculty Appointment Form which provides
data on the candidate's credentials and a statement of the reason for the appointment, i.e. what will be the function of the adjunct faculty
member-clinical instruction, periodic or part-time instruction, and public service. A copy of the form is available online at:
2. The term of appointment will be noted on the form.
3. A complete curriculum vitae for all adjunct faculty nominees will be kept on file in the dean's office.
4. The completed appointment form is forwarded to the appropriate academic dean and to the appropriate vice president for review
5. Appointments will be made once each year; therefore, completed forms should be forwarded to the president for approval no later
than July 1 preceding the academic year of appointment.
A copy of the President's letter of appointment will be forwarded to the appropriate vice president and to the academic dean. Copies of the candidate's letter of acceptance will also be forwarded to the appropriate vice president and dean upon receipt in the president's office.
Exceptions to the policy can be made upon the recommendation of the appropriate vice president and upon approval by the President.